• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Please shed some light on headlights and buckets.

jeepnjohn

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I have a 71 CB350. If you seen my project thread, then you can see that the headlight bucket is shattered and missing pieces and the trim ring and lamp are missing. The headlight bucket has a HM-16M stamped on it and it is plastic. I bought a parts lot which has a very nice trim ring and headlamp included with it. The trim ring is stamped HM-2M-S. Unfortunately, the trim ring does not match this bucket.

Question 1 - Does anyone know what the HM-2M-S trim ring is used on?

.Also, I have discovered that early CB buckets appear to be metal while mine is plastic If you do a used on, the HM-16-M appears to only be used on 1971 CB350, Some CB175 and Some CB450's. I see lots of buckets with different designations HM-14, HM-19, HM-21.....

Question 2 - How does one figure out what the size these are and if they are interchangeable on a 71 CB350?

Question 3 - How do you tell what trim ring goes with what bucket?

Thanks in advanceJohn

I can confirm that HM-16M is the marking on our '71 CB350 plastic bucket. Nothing else to offer.

I have a 71 CB350. If you seen my project thread, then you can see that the headlight bucket is shattered and missing pieces and the trim ring and lamp are missing. The headlight bucket has a HM-16M stamped on it and it is plastic. I bought a parts lot which has a very nice trim ring and headlamp included with it. The trim ring is stamped HM-2M-S. Unfortunately, the trim ring does not match this bucket.

Question 1 - Does anyone know what the HM-2M-S trim ring is used on?

.Also, I have discovered that early CB buckets appear to be metal while mine is plastic If you do a used on, the HM-16-M appears to only be used on 1971 CB350, Some CB175 and Some CB450's. I see lots of buckets with different designations HM-14, HM-19, HM-21.....

Question 2 - How does one figure out what the size these are and if they are interchangeable on a 71 CB350?

Question 3 - How do you tell what trim ring goes with what bucket?

Thanks in advanceJohn

John,

Sorry but I can't help you with the ring question. However, my 1971 CL350K3 uses the same headlight bucket as my 1970 CB450K3. Both have HM16M molded into the plastic. I have one complete spare on the shelf but am not anxious to give it up since I have two bikes that may need it at some point. These are getting scarce to say the least. The spare came from a CB450K2 and is also marked HM16M.

Just a guess here, but I think Honda probably purchased those parts from an outside supplier. The codes are probably for internal use by that supplier. The first two letters probably stand for Honda Motorcycle. There are sometimes buckets on eBay that are HM20M's for CB750 Hondas, but they are bigger than the HM16M.

I used to post this statement on the old forum till people were sick of it, but in case someone is unaware of the plastic headlight buckets:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations on your new bike. I see from your pictures, that the headlight bucket is in pristine condition -- count your blessings. Please accept some unsolicited advice:

The headlight bucket: Sooner or later, you will need to remove the headlight from the plastic headlight bucket. If you have never removed the headlight from one of these Hondas before, be careful. There is a bolt at the 4 o'clock position, and another at the 8 o'clock position. At the top of the bucket, the headlight rim has a metal tab that fits inside a groove in the plastic bucket. To remove the headlight, first remove the two bolts. Pull the bottom of the ring out only a couple mm, and then gently rotate the ring to disengage the top tab. Do not force it, or you will be on eBay searching for this NLA (No Longer Available) item.

Seems like a strange thing for me to mention right off the bat, but I notice Hondas on eBay all the time with the ubiquitous chunk of plastic missing at the top of the headlight. It is so unnecessary, it drives me crazy, and it is usually because a well-intentioned owner was unaware.

I searched for a replacement for my K5 450 CL bucket (HM-16M) on Ebay and they were all rather expensive and they all seemed to have chunks missing so I started to repair the one I had, so far so good. Nice to have confirmation here that they are rare.

I searched for a replacement for my K5 450 CL bucket (HM-16M) on Ebay and they were all rather expensive and they all seemed to have chunks missing so I started to repair the one I had, so far so good. Nice to have confirmation here that they are rare.

I repaired a HM-16M bucket just for kicks in this post. https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...c-headlight-bucket-with-JBWeld-Plastic-Bonder If it turns out you need a Frankenbucket, let me know and I'll stick it in the mail, no charge.

I am repairing mine with epoxy. I will post a thread soon.

Hello there...

I bought a NOS headlight assembly, part number 33100-292-674 for $75 on ebay. It includes trim ring, lens and wiring. It seems to fit HM-16M bucket just fine (I assembled the two together, but I have not yet wired them up). Regarding the bucket, I bought one that's in like new condition for $60. Patience is the key. Check the history on ebay and you'll find that they pop up fairly often.

I have a 1971 CB175. I think the 1971 CB350 is the same headlight and bucket.

From a post that I wrote in a different place a while back:

"My CB174 K4 was a US import, and came with the ABS HM-16M headlamp shell. This was damaged, so I replaced it with a metal shell, stamped HM-7M. I also replaced the plastic headlamp shell on my CL175 with another HM-7M headlamp shell.

It may be that the HM-7M shell is only available on UK / European bikes, as it has a hole for mounting a headlight switch in the shell.

The other odd thing is that there are two distinctly different shells and headlamp rims, both shells being stamped HM-7M. The first type takes the same headlamp rim as the plastic HM-16M, fixing screws for the rim going through the shell into lugs on the rim. The second type has holes in the rim, fixing screws going into lugs on the rim of the metal shell.

So, if you do manage to source an alternative headlamp shell, make sure that you have the matching rim. This caught me out once."

Second type:

psOyAj0.jpg

Richard you just identified my headlight bucket on the 1968 Sloper CL175 that was discussed in my restoration post about the top holes in the metal bucket. Mine is metal and I will check for the number stamped on the shell. I did buy a NOS chrome trim ring from CMSNL 5 years ago that fit it perfectly, which was fortunate as I didn’t realize there were two styles there too.

On reflection<groan>, I've just noticed that I've posted two pictures of the SAME HM-7M rim. Will have a look for other type, worried now that memory has failed me again.

EDIT No, memory OK. This is the other type. In fact, thinking about it, pic below is most likely the HM-16M ABS shell that this US spec bike came with ..

qq3hnAI.jpg

Last edited:
Just so all recent contributors know, the OP of this thread is no longer here. Still, good information is always helpful for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom