• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Oil circulation test?

The_Rooster

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
So my engine is buttoned up and I filled up the oil and would like to confirm the oil is flowing correctly. My SL350 has no electric start so how is the best way for me to confirm? I tried rolling the engine over by hand using the stator bolt a few times but I don’t see any oil making it’s way to the top of the engine. Should I or does it take more rapid revolutions of the engine to get that to happen?

Thanks again for all who respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my engine is buttoned up and I filled up the oil and would like to confirm the oil is flowing correctly. My SL350 has no electric start so how is the best way for me to confirm? I tried rolling the engine over by hand using the stator bolt a few times but I don’t see any oil making it’s way to the top of the engine. Should I or does it take more rapid revolutions of the engine to get that to happen?

Thanks again for all who respond.

And once it is running, you can take this bolt out temporarily to check for oil flow (left side of the rocker box)

350 rocker box.jpg

You can drain out some oil and refill through the valve tappet covers to avoid running the cam dry on initial start up

Pull the plugs and kick the engine over a bunch

if you used assembly lube then that should allow time before the oil gets there

loosen the bolt ancientdad mentions, fire the bike and remove the bolt. You should see oil bubbling out after a few to 30 seconds. If not, shut it down and remove the oil slinger cover to make sure the pump is pumping and it's not installed backwards. Once confirmed, what I've done is fire the bike again and up the idle, and that extra oomph has pushed the oil up.

Pull the plugs and kick the engine over a bunch

if you used assembly lube then that should allow time before the oil gets there

loosen the bolt ancientdad mentions, fire the bike and remove the bolt. You should see oil bubbling out after a few to 30 seconds. If not, shut it down and remove the oil slinger cover to make sure the pump is pumping and it's not installed backwards. Once confirmed, what I've done is fire the bike again and up the idle, and that extra oomph has pushed the oil up.

I did use assembly lube but the pump can be installed backwards?? I am trying to figure out how. Any detail on that?

Pull the plugs
kick it over like 10-30 times
pull the oil slinger cover. If it has oil the the pump is pumping. You can kick it over while the cover is off to see

I did use assembly lube but the pump can be installed backwards??

He's referring to the oil filter cover, not backwards but rotated 120° (or 240°) from the proper positioning to align the oil passages so the oil flow from the centrifugal filter actually passes through the cover and gets up to the top end of the engine. It's an easy mistake to make when you put the 3 screw oil filter cover on the right crankcase cover (over the clutch). You can't put the oil pump in wrong, it just won't fit.

This is a 175 cover but the design is the same.

fCFPLE3.jpg

g2h2R8A.jpg

Sorry, yes, I was referring to the round oil slinger cover backwards, not the pump itself

edot: maybe rotated or out of alignment is a better term to use moving forward

Pull the plugs
kick it over like 10-30 times
pull the oil slinger cover. If it has oil the the pump is pumping. You can kick it over while the cover is off to see

Oh! Sorry it’s early and I was slow on the uptake... the oil slinger cover could be installed backwards! I was trying to figure out how the pump could be installed backwards! The cover I made sure had the inner passageways lined up but that is a good idea to check it.

The O-rings sealing the cover could be bad or misplaced, or the transfer piece is stuck or not making proper contact, either case allowing the oil to simply dump back into the sump....

Just ask ancientdad about the transfer piece.....

The O-rings sealing the cover could be bad or misplaced, or the transfer piece is stuck or not making proper contact, either case allowing the oil to simply dump back into the sump....

Just ask ancientdad about the transfer piece.....

I replaced the o rings and made sure the passages were oriented correctly. I will check again when I crank the motor over a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you know someone with a half inch drill you can borrow? Use it to spin the crank,with the spark plugs out, to turn the pump. Get a friend to give the kickstarter a shove as you pull the trigger to get things turning.

Do you know someone with a half inch drill you can borrow? Use it to spin the crank,with the spark plugs out, to turn the pump. Get a friend to give the kickstarter a shove as you pull the trigger to get things turning.

I was wondering about that. Is there any harm in using a drill to spin up the engine like that with the plugs out? I suppose that would get the oil flowing...

Back
Top Bottom