• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Offerup posting I have some interest in but...

ADoIDo

Total Posts
Total likes
After a good amount of 24 hours doing my research as to what's what I found something previously modded which I don't mind because it means I wouldn't be the one bastardizing a vintage piece of machinery. However after giving this listing a closer look it doesn't even seem it's a honda engine? On one side there's no usually obvious honda symbol and the other no kickstart. I know for damn sure it's not a 1978 cb350 since they don't exist.

What appears to be honda here besides the frame and maybe the tank? I think it MIGHT be a cool little bike to get me started IF the engine is at least honda. Only possibly wanting this to hold me over until I patiently wait for something complete to come along.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's absolutely a 350 engine, there's just so much other stuff changed that it might not appear to be at first glance.

This is how you get the best critiques of bikes you find, post the ad links here and we'll suss them out

Well, considering how clean and sparkly it is... What do you think? Of course I'll try to beat him up on price and get it closer to 2k.

I don't get why they posted it as a 1978, maybe typo. And I'm a bit perplexed WHY it hasn't already sold in all of these months. There's so much money slushing around down here that I'd think a hipster would've bought it and just put it in their livingroom to help get laid.

Well, considering how clean and sparkly it is... What do you think?

I don't get why they posted it as a 1978, maybe typo. And I'm a bit perplexed WHY it hasn't already sold in all of these months. There's so much money slushing around down here that I'd think a hipster would've bought it and just put it in their livingroom to help get laid.
I wouldn't touch that bike with your money, but that's just me. I'm not trusting someone else's work on cafe'd/chopped up bikes, especially when the frame has been de-tabbed and altered to a point that it would take more welding and replacement pieces to come anywhere near original look again. It's like this overpriced thing, same crap, too far from original and waaay overpriced for what it is though someone seems proud of it.

1968 Honda CB350 Cafe Racer

Last edited:
pieces to come anywhere near original look again.
No, I wouldn't bother to attempt to bring this thing back to the original state. Just saying though, for 2k it isn't worth dicking around on until I find something near complete?

Last edited:
No, I wouldn't bother to attempt to bring this thing back to the original state. Just saying though, for 2k it isn't worth dicking around on until I find something near complete?
Only if you want to trust anything mechanical or structural that the PO did to the bike, which I'd literally have to see in person and ride before even considering it - and then, not at his price.
Actually, that bike is a far better choice and really is not that far out of a typical price for the bike as it sits. Modern tires, all original except the paint color (style is correct, but Poppy Yellow didn't happen until the following year with the bat-wing tank stripe). Of course, that's all contingent on how it runs and sounds mechanically.
And this rare https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/221914487564273/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:521926ff-d445-4b54-a61c-34bbfabf71d2

Thoughts on those and prices to aim for? I love how the second one is sitting at a motorcycle shop and they won't bother with a battery and carb clean in order to attempt to get it started.
That CL200 also looks decent, but it seems they want to get typical money for it with it apparently not running so either someone who doesn't know better will buy it or they'll be lowering the price in a few months.

Velocity stacks, sans filters, arranged so the rear tire can feed dirt right into the carb throats. Knobby tires on a street bike? , poser stuff. Nice alloy shouldered wheel rims and Hagon shocks, IMHO , lotta money for what you see there.

Velocity stacks, sans filters, arranged so the rear tire can feed dirt right into the carb throats. Knobby tires on a street bike? , poser stuff. Nice alloy shouldered wheel rims and Hagon shocks, IMHO , lotta money for what you see there.
Yup.

A secondary opinion on buying it for the hell of it? Attempted to quote the other Mike, in Idaho. It's not like I wouldn't be able to sell it a few years down the road for 2k.

Also I noticed the non-filtered carbs and wheel well designed to feed it dirt and rocks.

I'm also likely going to buy the cl350 if he ever gets it started. Been in talks with the guy and he sounds like a very motivated seller.

Last edited:
IMHO , lotta money for what you see there.

Excuse me I'm a little show. Saying there's a lot of money in parts there? That seems like a partial FOR argument.

I wouldn't touch the CB "cafe" bike.

Really thought, what's so bad about it besides highly personalized?

I'm having hard time wrapping my brain around what's so bad about something that at least runs for $2k. You can't buy anything for 2k nowadays, especially in south florida! We have people picking apart out classifies full time and flipping anything decent a week before I'd spot it. Oh and we don't have BARNS like most of the rest of the country.

Can't get a single partial agreement saying FOR at a certain price?

Good thing the weather has been total **** here for a few days. Prevents me from pulling the trigger thus far. Really want to get on 2 wheels again with haste.

Last edited:
Excuse me I'm a little show. Saying there's a lot of money in parts there? That seems like a partial FOR argument.
He meant the price was a lot for what you'd get.
Really thought, what's so bad about it besides highly personalized?

I'm having hard time wrapping my brain around what's so bad about something that at least runs for $2k. You can't buy anything for 2k nowadays, especially in south florida! We have people picking apart out classifies full time and flipping anything decent a week before I'd spot it. Oh and we don't have BARNS like most of the rest of the country.

Can't get a single partial agreement saying FOR at a certain price?
From my perspective, the bike would have to be closely inspected to see if the PO had compromised anything with respect to reliability, safety, etc. based on the amount of modifications done to it. If in overall decent, or serviceable, mechanical condition it might be worth $1200 to $1500 but if any of the work was substandard visually when looking at the bike in person, it could taint the opinion of what might have been done to the engine as well. Lots of people buy 350s to cafe out but are either first time owners/riders with very limited skills, or they just aren't good mechanically and use YT videos to accomplish what they try to do. Often a bad combination.

Lots of people buy 350s to cafe out but are either first time owners/riders with very limited skills, or they just aren't good mechanically and use YT videos to accomplish what they try to do. Often a bad combination.
Considering the guy lives on SB, I'm 100% doubtful he did it himself. Saying, even if all the work was done professionally by a big name shop it can't be trusted?

Considering the guy lives on SB, I'm 100% doubtful he did it himself. Saying, even if all the work was done professionally by a big name shop it can't be trusted?
I wouldn't necessarily say that without knowing, but I'd also say that just because he lives on South Beach doesn't necessarily mean he paid someone either. What I would say is, go look at it in person, take good close-up pics of every area that looks modified, listen to and record it running, and then come back here and share what you saw and recorded.

I wouldn't necessarily say that without knowing, but I'd also say that just because he lives on South Beach doesn't necessarily mean he paid someone either. What I would say is, go look at it in person, take good close-up pics of every area that looks modified, listen to and record it running, and then come back here and share what you saw and recorded.
Here you go, https://photos.app.goo.gl/dzqHM7pfYzke25ZV9

I'm not trying to pester the guy but at the same time I'm not going to SB just to take pictures of the bike. If I'm going to SB I'm going to buy it. I have some extreme laziness disorder when it comes to driving.

Btw how much do you think is a fair price to offer the wrong color cl350 without insulting him? He said in the messages that low ballers were offering him 1k and he said no. And I'm not good at pricing these things, I'm guessing 1500 but I have no ***** clue. And it's supposed to be drivable when I go to view it.

Thanks

i hope not to misinterpret the video but I saw a bike running that the fellow never let off the throttle. Maybe it's nothing but I would think the pods might have something to do with that and it needs better tuning. I would ask for another video of it idling and running under load. Just my 2 cents.

Btw how much do you think is a fair price to offer the wrong color cl350 without insulting him? He said in the messages that low ballers were offering him 1k and he said no. And I'm not good at pricing these things, I'm guessing 1500 but I have no ***** clue. And it's supposed to be drivable when I go to view it.

Thanks
I would offer $1500 and move up to $2000 if you have to. It's not worth more considering the over sized tires, missing shift linkage and exhaust support.

3 videos of idling/running https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sj7FpvT3BMp437La7
https://offerup.com/item/detail/1592898649

CL350 which is supposed to be running when I go to see it,
share what you saw and recorded.
Just my 2 cents.
Kinda sounds like one cylinder is doing all the work, when he first revs it up.
I would offer $1500 and move up to $2000
With all available information, what kind of numbers do you'll think I should offer? Whereas I could still sleep at night and my butt won't be in pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 videos of idling/running https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sj7FpvT3BMp437La7
https://offerup.com/item/detail/1592898649

CL350 which is supposed to be running when I go to see it,

With all available information, what kind of numbers do you'll think I should offer? Whereas I could still sleep at night and my ******** won't be in pain.
For the "cafe", I use the term loosely, I'd say it's worth $1000 tops and that's assuming there's a title and it has over 150psi compression. Bad compression or no title means it's $1 per cc or $325 in this case. There's a lot of things to fix on that one that will cost you.

i hope not to misinterpret the video but I saw a bike running that the fellow never let off the throttle. Maybe it's nothing but I would think the pods might have something to do with that and it needs better tuning. I would ask for another video of it idling and running under load. Just my 2 cents.
And he doesn't know how to properly start a Honda twin either, turning the throttle doesn't help. The beginning of that video sounds more like an intro to an old radio mystery show than a seller's video, not to mention it's tiny. Not much to learn from that except it runs.

Ok, I'm no more sure than I was when this thread started haha.

There's a lot of things to fix on that one that will cost you.
old radio mystery show

Ok. I'll just let both guys know tomorrow that I can't go over 1500 and that's WITH a smooth idle 150psi of compression. Even though I don't think a smooth idle would be happening with much lower compression.

Thanks

Last edited:
The CL350 looks like it may be a 'better return on your investment' imo...
I personally like it better than the caf'e 350 and if you purchased only the CL,you'd have more $ to make it sweet. (y)

Even though I don't think a smooth idle would be happening with much lower compression.
You're right, Jim's mention of 150 is more or less the minimum for the engine to run decently and at that level they'd have to be within about 5 lbs to idle fairly well. Many of these engines will run with less but they're down significantly on power in that condition, and idle is inconsistent at best.

Back
Top Bottom