• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Nothing quite like a hot oil shower....

Juneaudave

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I'm an idiot...I noticed a drip of oil after my last ride but I didn't think much about it except that I would go ahead, change the oil, and find the leak when it was cooler.

So today, I took a high speed run into town to get oil for the change...and when I got back my pant leg and the engine had received a pretty good spray down of hot oil...it sure didn't take long to find the leak....

ohyCZJY.jpg

Fortunately, the cap was sitting in the valley...

ZyQeekR.jpg

Glad I'm a backyard mechanic as opposed to a heart surgeon! I can't believe I left that loose when I rebuilt the engine last winter...

It happens. We all make rookie mistakes at one point or another. Just be glad it wasn't something catastrophic.

Extra crankcase ventilation... good that it was high in the top end, but I'm sure there was still a fair amount of oil loss.

LOL, lucky you still had the cap on crankcase.
Due to cam rotation the inlet tends to throw more oil around plus very little chance of anything getting in through the hole., it would have been much more 'interesting' on exhaust side (y)

I've done something similar with the filler cap on a bike as well as car. Lucked out both times that the cap lodged in there somewhere so I didn't lose it and I also realized it after a minute of riding so wasn't too bad.

When we were at Barber in 2018, Don was riding a small Honda single of some sort (can't recall if it was a CT70 or Z50) with the dipstick in the clutch cover down low, and he must have forgotten to tighten it after checking the oil. Went on a short ride after dark for some reason and came back to find oil all over everywhere and a trail down and back on the pavement. We went back down and followed the oil stream and found the dipstick, and the next day it was amazing to see how much oil came out of the engine but of course, it suffered no damage.

All four of them were loose, glad only one came off...I think I polished the covers as I set the valves after the rebuild. I have no idea why I didn't tighten them;)

Like I said it could have been much worse. I knew someone who was so excited to try out his newly rebuilt motor that he took it for a ride after putting the motor back in the frame. The engine seized after a short ride. In his haste and excitement he forgot to fill it up with oil. DOH!!! One expensive rookie mistake there.

I've resorted to using tags with notes attached to things just to be sure I don't forget
View attachment 8764

That’s simple but brilliant.

PS - where’d you get the insulation for the wires to the points. The ones that slip through the left side cam cover?

I have a white fiberglass jacket, but it’s… fuzzy? The one in the photo looks like it has varnish on it.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Back
Top Bottom