• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Mousetown, my own 73 CL350

Well, I didn't forget to put in the Orings even though they did look like the originals that I probably skipped replacing because they looked pretty good and I don't think I had new ones.
But,
I did put the cheapy gasket on backwards so the area I'm pointing at looked to be the leak. Honda uses the same gasket on both sides and there is a hole for oiling the tach drive that is not needed on the left side but it's there and if the gasket is a poor fit or, like me :oops: , puts it in backwards the sealing area is very thin there.
Since it's the weekend and my gasket cutting is quicker than waiting for shipping, I'll just cut my own from some quality sheet I have.

The Orings did finally arrive after a week from David Silver Snails but an ebayer near Philly, Von Licht Vintage Cycles, got some here in 2 days, von lichtity split.

I don't think I'll do the other side unless a problem develops but it was easier than I thought after loosening the eccentric rocker shafts the cam housing slipped right out.

IMG_1377.jpeg
Yes, that dark gasket on the right is the old OEM one that I saved for an occasion such as this; to use as evidence to convict me with. I'm guilty but repentant.

Last edited:
Are you cutting out the circles using an x-acto knife or something along those lines? Looks pretty good.

I've cut a few gaskets in a pinch and with small circles I think I tried to rotate the material rather than the blade. What's your method?

The gasket looks good ballbearian !
I like using OEM gaskets when I can still get one that's pliable,as the stock Honda gasket has the correct clearance so I don't need to re-shim the camshaft end-play clearance.

Last edited:
Are you cutting out the circles using an x-acto knife or something along those lines? Looks pretty good.

I've cut a few gaskets in a pinch and with small circles I think I tried to rotate the material rather than the blade. What's your method?
I should have posted a pic of my cut gasket. Those are the old OEM from the rebuild on the right and the cheapy (cheaper than usual NE) one that leaked.

A fresh sharpened tip on my utility knife and a couple passes around for the large middle hole. Scissors for the outside, a single hole paper punch works great for the 6mm screw holes (if they are an inch or less from the edge). I sharpened a piece of small electrical conduit that just fit the eccentric shaft holes and used a hammer like it was a die over a wood block.

The gasket looks good ballbearian !
I like using OEM gaskets when I can still get one that's pliable,as the stock Honda gasket has the correct clearance so I don't need to re-shim the camshaft clearance.
It was hard to accurately measure the used OEM and Honda doesn't provide a spec but it was about .025". I had some good sheet that was .030 so I figured it would compress some and still be about right where I set the clearance with the torqued NE gasket originally.

It was hard to accurately measure the used OEM and Honda doesn't provide a spec but it was about .025". I had some good sheet that was .030 so I figured it would compress some and still be about right where I set the clearance with the torqued NE gasket originally.
The OEM gaskets are a very tough material;I've removed,tightened-up and reinstalled the cam covers a few times using the same previously 'new' OEM gaskets.
I have had Such a horrible job scraping original,hardened by heat and age top-end gaskets off the CB350's cam cases.

The OEM gaskets are a very tough material;I've removed,tightened-up and reinstalled the cam covers a few times using the same previously 'new' OEM gaskets.
I have had Such a horrible job scraping original,hardened by heat and age top-end gaskets off the CB350's cam cases.
Who knows, they were the only ones did come off cleanly but decided to use all new but I did keep them for reference.

For cutting gaskets I have a bunch of old-school nail scissors that I took when we cleaned out my grandmother's apartment. Heavy duty toe nail scissors work great. For making the holes take a look at a tool like the one here -

1717980603258.png

Multi-size leather punch
I have one of these that I found in a toolbox at my father's house.

For cutting gaskets I have a bunch of old-school nail scissors that I took when we cleaned out my grandmother's apartment. Heavy duty toe nail scissors work great. For making the holes take a look at a tool like the one here -

View attachment 33705

Multi-size leather punch
I have one of these that I found in a toolbox at my father's house.
That's cool, if it did the 8mm holes it would be perfect if near enough to the edges. Pre drilled wood blocks for holes further in could work I guess.

I need to wash the oil off, I think I may still have a leak but it was a nice 20 miler and a stop at an old cemetery where this monument to a former ballbearian, no doubt, stood.View attachment 33727

Apparently a very important ballbearian no doubt. I wonder why?

By the way nice pic... amazing what a modern day Box Brownie can do.

Indeed. He likely loaded lead balls into his rifle as a Civil War infantryman out of Pennsylvania (link).
Amazing Brody, I'd never have thought to search that. It is pretty imposing, more like artillery ordinance, but hey, he lived pretty long and had plenty of dreams, no doubt.
I always do meet the nicest people on a Honda, even if they've done fired all their guns.

Back
Top Bottom