• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Major differences between cb175 and cl175?

Crow486

Total Posts
Total likes
I'm restoring a 69 CB175 from dirt and by some miracle found a local donor bike, a 1970 CL175. Obviously most stuff is the same between the two, but is there some major differences? My exaust pipes and speedo/tach are shot, so I'd probably fit them and the scrambler style pipes from the CL if they're in good shape, and the side panels to go with them as my bike didn't come with any. I haven't seen the donor bike in person yet, but I could pick up the whole thing for about $400.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I can only speak for the slightly later bikes, 1970 onward, but guess principles are the same.

Centre stand is one issue. The CL has a separate stop for the stand, on the CB the stand stops against the left hand silencer. Something to watch for if fitting CL pipes to CB. CL left pillion rest is longer, to clear pipes.

Seat and tank need be fitted as matching pairs, shorter tank on CL. Other differences don't make much odds, like the fenders, wider rear wheel rim, gearing, headlamp, bars, etc etc

I believe the foot pegs are different between the two as well?

Good point. The CL foot peg bar is tucked in more, so CB exhaust pipes won't fit. No problem the other way, CL pipes fit the CB OK. Similar issue with rear brake pedal, CL pedal won't fit with CB footpeg bar. Well, it does, but not correctly, bangs the exhaust pipe.

Hello, I am new to the forum, Did you ever find out anything more on this matter? I have a 1972 Honda CL175 with a CB175 engine and found that the CB175 engine has 4 clutch plates and 5 friction discs while the CL175 manual calls for 5 plates and 6 discs. Can anyone tell me anything else I need to know to get this bike running?

Thanks!

I know that this has already been answered elsewhere, but just for clarity, the CL and CB engines are internally identical at any given year, eg K4 through to K6. For that matter, so is the SL 175, apart from the ratchet type kick start mechanism in that engine.

Back
Top Bottom