• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

kicker idler gear?

MarvinS

Total Posts
Total likes
So I got my first Honda twin last week and joined this forum to gain knowledge on it. Reading through all the common problems these things have and have fixed several so far. The kick start idler gear bearing seems to be another common problem so while I have the clutch cover off I paid attention to it today after repairing the sagging alt wiring that was rubbing the chain and the inop neutral switch. The idler gear appears wobbly when the bull gear engages. All gear teeth look good but Ill assume if its wobbly I probably need to bore and bush the gear? So im seeking an educated opinion on this?

Attachments

• HPIM2304.JPG
    HPIM2304.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 14
  • HPIM2305.JPG
    HPIM2305.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM2307.JPG
    HPIM2307.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 20
I'm afraid I'm no help on the wobbly gear issue but it sounds like a bushing replacement will handle that, and IIRC Jim already mentioned to you about the fragile kickstart gear situation on the K1 and K2, parts NLA and good used ones unobtanium. I can tell you someone replaced your front sprocket with an aftermarket piece and it came with a C-clip to retain it, which is not OEM but it works. Your clamp holding the clutch lifter in the cover had me baffled for a minute there... at first I was thinking "what the hell is that??"

And I'm still envious of your very nice SL350K1 in the same color as the one I owned in high school :rolleyes:

SL350K1.jpg

Thanks , and yes I will heed his advice. I cleaned the throw out bearing and sprocket area and just using the little clamp to keep the guts in:)

Looked at it again today and have decided to leave it alone. I gripped the gear with needle nose pliers and don’t detect much radial play and am seeing about 80% tooth mesh and no indication of a bearing failure in oil filter or sump.

^^^Just be sure to use the kickstarter cautiously as Jim mentioned, since the gear is impossible to find in good condition

Since that gear is installed on the counter shaft it shouldn't have any play to speak of. To be safe rather than sorry I would at least pull the gear and measure the shaft and bushing, I'd be looking for .001" clearance roughly, there's no spec in the book.

Back
Top Bottom