• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Is there a left and a right exhaust pipe on a 66 CA160?

ShawninPA

Total Posts
Total likes
My 1966 CA160 lists a left and right exhaust pipe, different part numbers according to the HC35974 catalog. I carlessley removed the L & R sharpie marks when I dissassembled and now putting them back on cannot see a difference. Hold both side by side, flanges on a flat surface, try this way, that way, sure look the same to me, they dont cant one way or the other. There is a "dash" on the face of the flange, looks like a weld seam, those are different, holding the pipes side by side, those seams, one cants one way, the other the other way, whatever.... I am installing them with that cant as a direction refererance.

I have the right side on, no interferance, will do the left tomorrow, been wanting to ask this but feel kinda dumb.... Whats with left and right?

This would be a great example of when a pic showing them side by side to increase your chances of getting a response, would apply.

Yes there is a left and right

Yes there is a difference. My apologies for not investigating harder. Attached are correct and not correct pictures. CLAMPED on a flat surface the pipes angle towards each other is correct, counterintuitively not away from each other. A very slight difference, Mr Honda could have maybe cut the heads a little different and had interchangeable pipes? Who am I to doubt him though. (I cant get these pictures to rotate, I'm sorry, I tried)

pipes1.jpg pipes2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As nice as those pipes look, I bet the red rubber silicone muffler Orings might be ok too. I think you got it there, of course you had a 50/50 chance. (y)

I bet the asbestos header gaskets, that usually stay stuck in the head, are ok too. Or maybe they used the copper ones.

I bought new pipe/muffler rubber o rings, used them, but the old ones are in great shape. The head had copper o rings, put in new ones. The pipes are in great shape but the mufflers where rusted out at the end/bottom and several holes I found with an awl along the bottom seam. Cut out the bad and MIG welded in some 22GA steel sheet. Looks like hell but they are sealed, and you need to bend down to see the patches. Silencers are ok, rusted but ok. I was looking for a M5 x 1.00 silencer bolt at my Ace Hardware, no luck.(I was wondering why my metric thread gauge just didnt fit right) the one snapped off (brass bolts). Found out its old JIS M5 x .90, I tapped it out to M5 x .80. The picture is the right muffler repaired, left ready for repair. I can't say enough about how good coke and aluminum foil are for cleaning rust off of chrome. After that I use Mothers chrome polish then Meguiars cleaner wax. Sure it will rust fast again if left alone with high humidity or rain but I plan to keep up on it. This aint no Concourse De Elaganse bike. Probably only ride it once or twice a month, you never know though....First, I gotta start the thing, then think about riding it. Thats not true, I do think about riding it, all the time.
IMG_2420.jpg

Great job on those mufflers. They almost have to be saved because the CA95's won't fit. Did you spray some header paint on them? I'd be real happy how they turned out. I love my Dream but my Benly is a blast on these country roads.
Where is New Providence?

I bought new pipe/muffler rubber o rings, used them, but the old ones are in great shape. The head had copper o rings, put in new ones. The pipes are in great shape but the mufflers where rusted out at the end/bottom and several holes I found with an awl along the bottom seam. Cut out the bad and MIG welded in some 22GA steel sheet. Looks like hell but they are sealed, and you need to bend down to see the patches. Silencers are ok, rusted but ok. I was looking for a M5 x 1.00 silencer bolt at my Ace Hardware, no luck.(I was wondering why my metric thread gauge just didnt fit right) the one snapped off (brass bolts). Found out its old JIS M5 x .90, I tapped it out to M5 x .80. The picture is the right muffler repaired, left ready for repair. I can't say enough about how good coke and aluminum foil are for cleaning rust off of chrome. After that I use Mothers chrome polish then Meguiars cleaner wax. Sure it will rust fast again if left alone with high humidity or rain but I plan to keep up on it. This aint no Concourse De Elaganse bike. Probably only ride it once or twice a month, you never know though....First, I gotta start the thing, then think about riding it. Thats not true, I do think about riding it, all the time.

I like patching and cleaning-up original mufflers in a similar way as you have here (y)(y)(y) They can now be put back into service to run the way the bike was designed. I know repros look better;nothing like original,imo. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ballbearian,
I used some Moeller engine paint on the bottom of the mufflers, Honda Oyster silver. Bought it (Amazon) to paint the starter shield, had it handy. Figured it could "take the heat". New Providnce PA is about 15 miles south of Lancaster, next to Quarryville. The back roads are great for puttin.

Bilbikek441,
I looked at reproduction mufflers, on eBay, from Thailand I think (they make a lot of stuff, I got some nice aftermarket sparkles for my CT125 from there). Sure they where "new" but didnt look original, not to me in the pictures, the shape looked off, and then ecspecially the mounts, not even close. Maybe I wasnt looking hard enough. The ones I had where ok, patch some holes, shine em up, good enough. I may go over this bike again when I retire, but then Ive been thinking about those first CB450's, Honda's first crack at a "big bike". Get a 1965 thats already in fair shape, that would be a nice toy to play with.
Honda-CB450.jpg

I don't think the heat will be a problem. I've used engine and even caliper paint on the header clamps and they're fine. PA has great puttin roads and that bike will be a blast on twisties. Heck, my 150 does 60 easy on the flat.

You are a bit further than I usually venture, but ya never know, maybe someday. It would be fun to start a Benly gang. :biggrin:

I know some on the FB groups who tried those asian repops advertised as 160 and 150 but they are not the same, so excellent save.

Can't wait to hear about you firing it up.

Got a battery yet? I got recommendation for that.

I got a battery from Dennis Kirk "Parts Unlimited battery-Standard 6-Volt Battery - R6N12A2D". It fits, a little loose, stick some rubber in there to shore it up. I guess it will work. I could use a recommendation on:
-Installing turn signals, got an old set, 1960s aftermarket, I havnt done anything with them yet. I hear the european models had them, be nice to get a set of them.
-Rectifier from Sparkmoto, been studying this forum for what to do with that. May need help with that.
-Air filter (theres a bunch to chose from on eBay) The one I have looks ok but it is made of paper and is 57 years old.
-Carb rebuild kit. I cleaned it good, new bowl gasket, but afraid I may need to replace something, wont know till I run it, be nice to have a kit handy just in case.
-What for oil? Can I use Honda GN4? I stock 10/30 and 10/40
-I cant find a new o ring for the dip stick 27.5mm ID (per parts list and confirmed with calipers) x 2.5mm thick (my measurement). The original will do I guess, looks a little flat and feels a little hard. The one I got off eBay, not even close. Same with the points, not even close. Not worth the effort to return. I will post a review though saying "these do not fit a 1966 CA160" I did get the correct points from Dennis Kirk. eBay is kinda the wild west, buyer reware, there might be bushwackers in them thar hills, I'm cool with that though. They have everything under the sun there, I like that.

How old is the air cleaner? How old is this mummified mouse? There was one hell of a mouse nest in there, packed full between the side covers, this poor guy didnt make it.
IMG_2051.jpg

I got a battery from Dennis Kirk "Parts Unlimited battery-Standard 6-Volt Battery - R6N12A2D". It fits, a little loose, stick some rubber in there to shore it up. I guess it will work. I could use a recommendation on:
-Installing turn signals, got an old set, 1960s aftermarket, I havnt done anything with them yet. I hear the european models had them, be nice to get a set of them.
-Rectifier from Sparkmoto, been studying this forum for what to do with that. May need help with that.
-Air filter (theres a bunch to chose from on eBay) The one I have looks ok but it is made of paper and is 57 years old.
-Carb rebuild kit. I cleaned it good, new bowl gasket, but afraid I may need to replace something, wont know till I run it, be nice to have a kit handy just in case.
-What for oil? Can I use Honda GN4? I stock 10/30 and 10/40
-I cant find a new o ring for the dip stick 27.5mm ID (per parts list and confirmed with calipers) x 2.5mm thick (my measurement). The original will do I guess, looks a little flat and feels a little hard. The one I got off eBay, not even close. Same with the points, not even close. Not worth the effort to return. I will post a review though saying "these do not fit a 1966 CA160" I did get the correct points from Dennis Kirk. eBay is kinda the wild west, buyer reware, there might be bushwackers in them thar hills, I'm cool with that though. They have everything under the sun there, I like that.

How old is the air cleaner? How old is this mummified mouse? There was one hell of a mouse nest in there, packed full between the side covers, this poor guy didnt make it.

To keep proper continuity here, I've copied this post to your thread in Projects and Builds since this is an exhaust discussion. Please keep this to exhaust and use the Projects and Builds thread for all general posts about the bike as it goes along. Thanks

Hey Shawn, I grew up in Willow Street... a stones throw from you out there on Rawlinsville Road. Used to do a lot of dirt biking out there on the rail road tracks and we knew of a farm that had a track hidden away and I'd take my Enduro 100 out with my dad.

Went to Solanco for a few years so been in Quarryville plenty of times. One of my friends lived in New Providence as well.

Nowadays I'm out in Marietta. Not too far from you.

Back
Top Bottom