• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

I'm looking for a PC person,welder,machinist who is reasonably priced here.

bilbikek411

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I live in N.California and I'm looking for individuals who do part-time work for a reasonable price.I'm a man in my mid-60's who's a partially retired motorcycle mechanic and live in a small econo 2nd flr. apartment in Davis,CA.I only have one income which is SS which is less than you can imagine.I spend the majority of my $/check on Ebay getting motorcycle parts and have collected quite a few which I've put in storage.I need very reasonable helpers to do welding,powder coating,machine work for me with only a couple pieces at a time.I would rather find a person local to my area but if necessary,I can send something..
Thanks,Bill :)

It might be worth checking the trade schools in the area with courses that involve the machinery you need. They may be open to the idea if it is dealing with the skill set they are teaching. The other thing I did was put an ad on a local facebook classifieds page looking for a retired metal smith to make a gas tank. I met a couple very talented guys that have good shops in their garages and they charge me peanuts. I also found a guy that has a powder coat setup at his house that's big enough for a bike frame. I would think in the land of the hot rodder there are a pile of backyard mechanics with pretty well equipped shops.

It might be worth checking the trade schools in the area with courses that involve the machinery you need. They may be open to the idea if it is dealing with the skill set they are teaching. The other thing I did was put an ad on a local facebook classifieds page looking for a retired metal smith to make a gas tank. I met a couple very talented guys that have good shops in their garages and they charge me peanuts. I also found a guy that has a powder coat setup at his house that's big enough for a bike frame. I would think in the land of the hot rodder there are a pile of backyard mechanics with pretty well equipped shops.

I appreciate this information.I'm not on Facebook anymore(I may sign back up using a different email..)as my account got hacked,I accepted too many people as friends who had no connection with me.I would like to see if I could connect with more retired individuals who aren't always 'too busy' ;) The trade schools I haven't considered yet:do you think they would do quality work considering they're only learning for the first time ?

I think their quality would be fine. Instructors would have final say on which students are given such work, they sign off on the finished product as well.

Agreed and they have to graduate at some point so it wouldn't necessarily be the newbies doing the work.

The only time I brought something to a Tech. School for similar was with a set of XL185S crankcases.
This was a High School tech place in Pa.,I spoke with the instructor and made sure to say that I wanted the broken pieces of crankcases tig welded back in,but I warned him please do not tig weld along the machine surface where the crankcase halves bolt together.. The welding was excellent and they charged me $50 And they welded the place I told them not to !
I had that as my 1st experience,it'll take a big leap of faith to go to another tech school:I had to pay them Plus discard the cases.

I know you prefer local but there’s a custom motorcycle shop in Austin, TX that does welding on the cheap(ish). I’ve used them for my CL175 and the turn around was next day. Not sure how helpful this is but here’s their website.

https://revivalcycles.com/about/services

Bill just seeing this now.

If you’d like, I’ll take on some light machining projects for basically cost of materials.

I’m *very* fresh to lathe and mill working, but I’d be happy to pull some pieces together for you.

Note I’m on the opposite coast.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Hi Ed,
I appreciate you.
I hope to someday have a shop of my own as trying to do what needs to get done out of a 2nd floor apartment isn't 'where it's at' :) but I still do a few things on my wooden table:the rest I do out in the parking lot with the tools I have. ;)

I hear you.

I work out of a community garage with an old lathe and mill.

They’re both manual machines - the mill has a DRO and the lathe has bupkus. They both work terrifically thus far.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Back
Top Bottom