• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

I need tires

dbyer1958

Total Posts
Total likes
Its my first question on this form so here goes. My 500T which I pick up tomorrow has the original tires on it. Ive checked Dennis Kirk and a few others but can anyone tell me where to get 2 new tires and I would guess tubes and what size tires I would need. I dont plan on breaking any speed limits on this bike so what tires should I get. Also, I plan on putting them on myself. Im pretty good at wrenching things so Im giving it a try!! Gotta keep costs down.

There are many tire choices out there depending on your budget and the type of riding you plan to do. I like to ride mountain roads once a year on vacation and a little cornering on my local (and a lot more flat) rural roads in Florida, but I am on a budget so I didn't want to break the bank with my tire purchase. I bought a Shinko 712 for the rear (100/90-18, but in hindsight I could have gone with a 110/90) for $62 and a Shinko 250 for the front (MJ90-19) for $84 only because the CL450 has a 19" front wheel and Shinko doesn't make the 712 in that size. I had already bought new tubes and rim strips previously, probably from 4into1. They give great cornering feel and I love the way it handles now. I price-shopped hard and got them from Chaparral Motorsports at the lowest price I found.

+1 for Chaparral Motorsports or Chapmoto or whatever they go by. They've been around for decades and move a lot of product which contributes to low prices and you can trust that you won't get a 2 year old tire from them.

I'm not sure if these brand/models fit your bike, but FYI:

I have an IRC DuroTour II on the back of my CM450e. I don't recommend it.
First, I had to take another brand new DTII off of the front, as it was defective- significantly out of round, and wobbly.
Second, it is very stiff, which makes it very hard to put on or take off.
Third, it also flops over a bit on turns, even though it is appropriately sized and inflated (and tried higher inflations). It may last forever, they do have a good reputation for lasting a long time (relatively speaking, for a cheap bias ply, it's not a Dunlop e4 or M888).

I have a Shinko 712 on the front, and can highly recommend it. Only 900 miles so far, so can't speak to longevity, but handles well, sticky, good braking, and good in rain.

Back
Top Bottom