• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Hydraulic upgrade CB200T with BLING!

paula

Total Posts
Total likes
Here's my effort at a hydraulic upgrade for the CB200T. It's 100% reversible. I haven't tried it on the road yet but it seems great pushing it in the yard!
Bleeding it was tricky as i had to mount it upside down. Something i overlooked when choosing the caliper. So i have to remove the caliper to bleed it. But that's only 2 bolts.

I think the polishing made it look a bit more stock. I have yet to remove the paint off the lever and rub down the reservoir to age it a little.

Road test soon!
IMG_6158.jpegIMG_6173.jpegIMG_6172.jpeg

Be interesting to bleed with the bleeder at the bottom .... most likely will have to do it off the mount with a piece of wood between the pads approximately same thickness as disc.

Be interesting to bleed with the bleeder at the bottom .... most likely will have to do it off the mount with a piece of wood between the pads approximately same thickness as disc.
Yes. It's proving tricky. I'm going to do what you said and mount it on front of my workbench with a couple of long screws and bleed it there. Totally didn't think about that before!

Bike calipers can be difficult to bleed, you can try a reverse bleed ... caliper off the mount, gently pump out the pistons 50% then push back in slowly. Do everything at a measured pace, slow out, slow in. I like to turn the handle bars so the master is at highest point and many times have removed the master to tilt it while gently pumping.

Another trick is pour brake fluid down the hydraulic lines before mounting, I use a syringe with a curved tip.

Bike calipers can be difficult to bleed, you can try a reverse bleed ... caliper off the mount, gently pump out the pistons 50% then push back in slowly. Do everything at a measured pace, slow out, slow in. I like to turn the handle bars so the master is at highest point and many times have removed the master to tilt it while gently pumping.

Another trick is pour brake fluid down the hydraulic lines before mounting, I use a syringe with a curved tip.
That makes me feel better. It's testing my patience for sure!
I bought a cheap Vacuum pump from Amazon, but none of the attachments would fit on the nipple and still let me get a spanner on, so i went back to the old method.

I screwed the calper to the front of my work bench with a 12" file in place of the disc and got ready to bleed it up. Picked up the brake fluid and there underneath was one of the o ring washers that was supposed to be on the master cylinder! DOH!
No wonder i was having such problems!
All bleed up now and working a treat. I aged the reservoir and took the paint off the lever to match better.IMG_6176.jpeg

Road test!
It's spot on. Maybe got a bit carried away in the damp London weather and locked it up briefly. But it shows that it really works.
Cup of tea needed.
Yeah, that little 'chirp' says it all, you can wrinkle the pavement now. (y)

That caliper looks much better with the bracket, and of course will bleed appropriately too. I like the overall look now, just a little shiny part mixed with satin black. Hopefully it still stops as well as it did before, or better.

Much neater !

I'd go so far as to say that it is better than Allen Millyards version, on his Kawasaki engined Honda SS50. Looks like CB175/ 200 forks to me. He's using a twin pot sliding caliper, but it doesn't look as though the pads sweep the whole disc.

HCNiD1D.jpg

That caliper looks much better with the bracket, and of course will bleed appropriately too. I like the overall look now, just a little shiny part mixed with satin black. Hopefully it still stops as well as it did before, or better.
I'll leave it like that then!
I'll let you know how it is. I have to wait for a shorter hose to arrive before trying.

Much neater !

I'd go so far as to say that it is better than Allen Millyards version, on his Kawasaki engined Honda SS50. Looks like CB175/ 200 forks to me. He's using a twin pot sliding caliper, but it doesn't look as though the pads sweep the whole disc.

HCNiD1D.jpg
I couldn't put one there without messing with the mudguard. Allen Milliard is incredible though. So i'm sure his was amazing

Slightly off topic, but if I was going to do a disc brake upgrade to one of my 175's, in the first instance I'd look for some CD250u fork bottoms. These use the same diameter fork stanchions and front axle as the 175 and 200. CD250u wheel and brake caliper would make the conversion even easier. I think that CB250 Nighthawk parts might also fit, although that uses a cast front wheel as standard.

1704138593537.png

Slightly off topic, but if I was going to do a disc brake upgrade to one of my 175's, in the first instance I'd look for some CD250u fork bottoms. These use the same diameter fork stanchions and front axle as the 175 and 200. CD250u wheel and brake caliper would make the conversion even easier. I think that CB250 Nighthawk parts might also fit, although that uses a cast front wheel as standard.

View attachment 28323
That's a great idea!

The road test went very well. It stops brilliantly. Really nice feel to it too as it bleed up perfectly.
Only issue is that its making a noise after it's left for a while. After the first couple of applications it's nice and silent and works great. It's like the piston is retreating slowly back into the caliper if left for 5 mins.
Any ideas?

The road test went very well. It stops brilliantly. Really nice feel to it too as it bleed up perfectly.
Only issue is that its making a noise after it's left for a while. After the first couple of applications it's nice and silent and works great. It's like the piston is retreating slowly back into the caliper if left for 5 mins.
Any ideas?
Well done. If the pads and rotor are newlyweds, it may stop fairly soon on it's own.

Some pad and disc combos are intrinsically noisy. I replaced the original pads on my Hornet with EBC sintered pads, which worked brilliantly but always made a noise when braking hard. When these wore out I fitted Honda CBR600 sintered pads which probably didn't 'grab' quite as much as the EBC pads, but worked silently. I've stuck with the OEM Honda pads ever since.

Anyway, as the saying goes, 'Brakes just slow you down' ....... :D

Back
Top Bottom