• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

HM318 and unstamped mystery lookalike muffler

CL350 K2

Total Posts
Total likes
I bought a muffler from RE-MX which was listed as an NOS, left muffler, stamped HM318, part # 18410-318-010, fits 1970 & 1971 CL350 and a few other bikes.

The muffler arrived well packed, looking like a good condition NOS left CL muffler and very much like the used HM318 I have.

Unfortunately, there is nothing stamped anywhere on this muffler so I don't really know what it is.

It's my understanding that HM345's and perhaps others look very similar externally to HM318's.

Has anyone seen unstamped Honda CL mufflers before and if so what is the story with them?

I posted pictures of my HM318 and the mystery unstamped muffler side by side.

I wouldn't have bought it, if it wasn't stamped HM318 and the correct part # muffler for my bike.

Thanks,
CL350 K2

HM318 & Unstamped muffler 1.jpgHM318 & Unstamped muffler 2.jpg

To my untrained eye on your muffler question it looks totally identical in every aspect that I can see. Even the spot welds to hold the interior baffles are in the same spots on each unit.
If is is a reproduction which is possible, then they cannot put the Honda trademark on the muffler. That said, I have a reproduction set of Sanki mufflers ( A muffler supplier to Honda) on my 1972 CB350F that use every Honda part number on the muffler, just not the Honda name.

Hopefully someone else has a thought on your question.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of someone with a lot of interest and knowledge in the details of CL350 exhausts?

Does anyone know of someone with a lot of interest and knowledge in the details of CL350 exhausts?
Until the last year or so I never paid much attention to the numbers stamped on exhausts from Honda, those that were interchangeable were assumed to be the same or close enough that they would work. In the absence of others' answers for the moment, I did a search of VHT and found this previous thread you were involved in.

Has anyone tried to get the CL 350 exhausts remanufactured, or found a company that will be interested? I am thinking of seeing if I can get a company to make repros in the UK, especially the right cylinder ones, maybe with a detachable silencer like the left side one has. Anyone think there is going to be a demand for them? Not necessarily total repro, but close enough to not embarrass!

Has anyone tried to get the CL 350 exhausts remanufactured, or found a company that will be interested? I am thinking of seeing if I can get a company to make repros in the UK, especially the right cylinder ones, maybe with a detachable silencer like the left side one has. Anyone think there is going to be a demand for them? Not necessarily total repro, but close enough to not embarrass!
I think there would be a definite market for them

I think there would be a lot of interest. The exhaust on the CLs is a unique, iconic and beautiful feature of the bike.

The original right cylinder exhausts all rust out from the inside out especially in the left bottom frame side of the muffler (silencer).

Repairing them is difficult and expensive, if you can find a specialty welder and a plater willing to do it.

NOS ones, when they come up, which is rare, can list for $1,100.00 to $1,300.00

Back
Top Bottom