• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Grommet lube

jpettigrew

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
What is the best lube material to use on the side cover grommets? I saw one gut using motor oil but if used with the wrong type of rubber, I know the oil came break down the rubber material. As fragile as the side covers can be, I want to get them on and off with as little pressure a possible.

If you lube your grommets, you could have a side cover come loose at an inopportune moment. New grommets are cheap and will work as intended for years to come.

I put new grommets on and added a dab of silicon plumbers waterproof faucet grease. The side covers are much easier to get on and off, but I can't see them coming off accidently.

My suggestion is to try the new grommets first, then use the faucet grease if you need it.

Yes, you definitely want to use a little bit of some kind of lube only to prevent them cracking when trying to pull them off out of dry grommets. My Dad and I used white lithium pray grease back in the day and it worked fine, a small amount so it's just enough to help the posts slide in and out of the grommets but not fly off while riding. Never bothered any of the grommets we used it on back then either.

Back
Top Bottom