• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Fixed exhaust leak with high temp gasket maker

Steelfingers

Total Posts
Total likes
Replacing the mufflers on my 75 Honda Cb 360t came with a problem I thought I could fix easily. Put on slip on mufflers with the graphite seal but still had leaks. I'd reset and move clamps and so on but still got the pop and could feel the blow back at the junction. Finally did what many had suggested and bought the HT tubes of gasket maker. Ordered new Graphite sleeves (as I destroyed the old ones removing them) cleaned up the metal and made sure to secure the mufflers where they will be held firmly after application/drying of product.
A bit messy but you can clean up easy. Directions said to let set for 24 hrs but I let it go for 48 to be sure.
Remember I've struggled with getting the gas/air mixture perfect for some time even after electronic ignition, carb and vacuum sync.
Once I let it dry I had a bit of problem getting her started and remembered the fuel issue had caused the plugs to foul on one side then the other. Pulled them and saw they were both black as coal because of the rich mix and tinkering. Cleaned up (they were new) and reinstalled. Jumped on and didn't even have to choke as I had choked trying to start before cleaning plugs. She popped off like a cork. As soon as she started I knew it was good to go. That sound your bike makes when you don't have exhaust leaks, proper sync and gremlins at bay is cool. You know by the sound.
Wow, I thought, I've finally got here. After years of tedious work and learning, I've made it.
Is it perfect? No. Is it close to perfect? Yes. I had hoped to have her ready for a show this weekend and I wasn't going to show her (my first show ever) if I couldn't start her up if asked. Now I can.
I don't care if I place or get any recognition for it, It's just that I did it all by hand with mostly things I had at my home. Plus, I'm proud of it.
Thanks to the folks here and other sites that helped me on the way. I had to learn almost everything in this restore. I did it because of the historical knowledge you folks here and elsewhere have and are willing to share.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom