• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Engine Build Thread - CB175 K0 Sloper

Cromwell

Total Posts
Total likes
I attempted to assemble this case 3 times without success. The Crank shaft is sticky and the kick starter shaft does not move when tightened. Here are some photos of the upper case, crankshaft, gears and the kick shaft. Could the crankshaft be bent? Perhaps the bearings were not rebuilt properly?

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_191840.jpg
    IMG_20220214_191840.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220214_192916.jpg
    IMG_20220214_192916.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220214_193033.jpg
    IMG_20220214_193033.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220214_193125.jpg
    IMG_20220214_193125.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220214_193135.jpg
    IMG_20220214_193135.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 9
Are you sure the crankshaft locating dowels are 100% seated as that can sometimes cause issues. If they are then look into the transmission shafts for complete seating too. I see a space on the kickstarter/electric starter end bushing in that partial picture and a wire in the gear teeth?
Did you take pictures of the original layout of the assembly before you took everything apart? That is a must do for me to help in reassembly, as being able to compare before/after setup.
I helped a friend last year on a CL175 and the transmission was a source of an issue if I remember on reassembly, when a part was not seated and the case halves didn’t go together well.

Remove crank from case half.... Check each bearing individually to verify it spins freely....
IF SO, but crank won't spin easily/freely when bearings are supported in case, it IS possible, (maybe even likely), the crank is not true.....

I know it's along distance call, but you may phone me to discuss....

The bearings do spin freely although only one or two spin around a couple of times before stopping. The roller bearings do not spin as easily as the ball bearings.

I just placed the crank back in the top case and rotated it and found the rough spot. Friction starts and then ends about 1/3 of the way around the rotation. You can follow the notch in the crankshaft in the photos from left to right. There also appears to be a dead spot on one of the roller bearings. I could feel it while moving the bearing off the case. Perhaps when the weight is applied to that bearing it creates the drag. When the other case it tightened in seems to make it worse. Could it be a faulty roller bearing?
IMG_20220215_103825.jpgIMG_20220215_103803.jpgIMG_20220215_103815.jpg

Ok. When three of the four bearings are lined up the crank spins fine. As soon as I set all 4 bearings it starts to drag. I tried the two centre bearings with each end bearing and it rotates freely. I do not think that the shop lined up the bearings correctly. Perhaps I should take it back to the shop. Let me know what you think.

I figured out the problem with the kick starter. I had the unit upside down. Not smart. I flipped it around and now it works fine and the case tightens without restricting its motion.

Glad you got it sorted as that spring in the gear looked out of place in the limited view you posted. Was that the issue?

I took the engine apart about 8 years ago and lost the photos. I have been following a similar engine build on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hlBNFkK9Ds

Cromwell, I think what is happening here in this thread is you are answering more than one post but not identifying whose post it was. If you use the button "Reply With Quote" your answer will look like this one and the person you're responding to will know it's for them.

Ok. When three of the four bearings are lined up the crank spins fine. As soon as I set all 4 bearings it starts to drag. I tried the two centre bearings with each end bearing and it rotates freely. I do not think that the shop lined up the bearings correctly. Perhaps I should take it back to the shop. Let me know what you think.

Glad you got the kickstarter sorted. Yes, I agree you should take the crankshaft back to the shop and show them the issues with the roller bearings.

Back
Top Bottom