• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Does this engine sound normal?

Scootman

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Well I was able to start my engine last night after waiting on my starter for a week, (only to find out the guy couldn't rebuild it) so, I cleaned it up best I could and re installed it, before I fired it up though, last time I had it running I was hearing some valve train noise so, I re-adjusted the valves and fired it up!
Now this may be a normal sound, but I am just not overly familiar with these engines to make that determination, but I can still hear loud tapping when she's running.
I did notice that when I pull the tappet covers off there is a bit side to side play on the rocker arms and was wondering if that was adding to the noise and if that was normal for it to have that play.
Anyway, she starts right up, but I'm not completely finished tuning the carbs and there are no air filters on it at the moment.
Please take a listen and let me know what you think... I appreciate the input

Play in the rockers is normal when they aren’t actively hitting the cam.

That engine sounds fine - you may be able to quiet the rockers down by adjusting them ever so tighter, but I’d leave that until the next time I adjusted.

It’s also notoriously difficult to diagnose these issues with cell phone audio quality.

- 1972 CL350
- 1985 VF700F

Back
Top Bottom