• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CL450 chain guard [FOUND]

ancientdad

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
Wondering if anyone has a chain guard for my CL450, it's a K5 but I do not believe the chain guard has changed since the first year, at least in the mounting holes/locations. No part number is listed after K2, both CMSNL and Partzilla skip to #4 in the fiches past the K2. The K0/K2 part number is 40510-292-000Z. When I bought my bike it had already been welded at the rear mounting tab where they all typically crack at some point, and now it's cracked again. I noticed the later CB versions apparently had a rubber grommet and tubular spacer involved to allow it to flex. Basically I just want to get a spare so I can get one ready before removing my currently cracked one. Thanks

I should have one. I'll be free to get pics this weekend but if I forget then send me a reminder

I looked around my garage and basement and the chain guard for my CL450 parts bike is MIA. If it turns up, I'll let you know.

Hopefully MrPepper has one.
Thanks for looking. I just want a spare so I can get one of them welded and convert the mount to one with a grommet and shoulder bolt or bolt and tubular spacer like taillights are often mounted, pretty sure that's what Honda did on the later CB450 according to the parts fiche.

Bumping this for renewed exposure. Anyone have a CB/CL450 chain guard they're willing to part with?

Mr pepper totally should have one. Sorry for the delay. Will message you later this week.

Thanks for looking. I just want a spare so I can get one of them welded and convert the mount to one with a grommet and shoulder bolt or bolt and tubular spacer like taillights are often mounted, pretty sure that's what Honda did on the later CB450 according to the parts fiche.
AD that's a good plan with the rubber grommet. On the CL77 there were cracks on the air filter mounting brackets and multiple cracks in the rear fender section. So I installed rubber grommets and O rings on every one of those points plus the chain guard mounting holes. The chain guard was OK, yet preemptive action as that bike is supposed to vibrate more than the "Dream" ones without a full frame.

I remember the DOHC 450's were prone to high frequency vibrations too.

Last edited:
The very generous @MrPepper came through, and his creativity was on display as well. When the package was delivered to me today it looked like a huge chain guard from some industrial equipment until I started unwrapping it. I then realized he used a large piece of stout, channel-shaped plastic that must have been a cover of sorts for an exercise bike to house the chain guard in to keep it from getting folded, spindled or mutilated during transit. He would not let me even reimburse him for shipping. Thanks Chris, very kind of you! (y)

Back
Top Bottom