• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CL350 Exhaust Stay

Ribrickulous

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Well huh.

Went to do some work tonight, started removing the exhaust and the bottom half of this fell right off:

f63264fcc99b0c32afef07ffc08a48eb.jpg

New part is already ordered, but what causes this kind of failure?

Should I ship up a piece of steel or something to act as a temporary stay or can I ride without it?

The front stay is still in place.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

Age and vibration would be my guess for failure. I wouldn't ride it much until you get the rear portion supported

Were all the other brackets in place? If everything is in place, bolted up correctly, and not in a bind, it’s a pretty solid setup.

Loose mounting bolts. missing brackets? Either one would allow for flexing causing this type of stress fracture.
Mufflers have 2 brackets holding them together plus one in the rear to the frame and then the 2 pipe bracket that attaches to the swing arm bolt.

Also figured out what the issue is.

The washer stack that I have on the bottom rear exhaust stud interferes with the chain guard when the suspension take a hard hit. Looks like that stud repair isn’t optional!

3fabfef81d6e05df44f307677bbd3c5a.jpg

eb59c6d2c3af962addaab212877512e5.jpg

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

Back
Top Bottom