• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

cl175 frame vin not matching engine

ckahleer

Total Posts
Total likes
I once had a 77 goldwing that the vins did not match. After a little research I found durring the assemble proccess, Honda was not picky about which engine went into which frame and it was just pot luck if you got a bike where they matched.
Is this true? My 72 CL175 does not have matching vins.

I once had a 77 goldwing that the vins did not match. After a little research I found durring the assemble proccess, Honda was not picky about which engine went into which frame and it was just pot luck if you got a bike where they matched.

This seems relevant.

I think the only possible matching VIN scenario would be the first few bikes of production. Honda, like other's, performed destructive testing and QC checks on their production engines. They literally grabbed an engine out of the line up and went to town on it. Meanwhile the production line kept going and the engines became out of sequence. The more they pulled out the further out the numbers became. QC and destructive testing engines were never returned to the line.
If you come across a lower engine number than frame bike it means the engine was changed by someone.

What about being different models that are compatible? I bought my bike and it has a cb175k4 frame and cl175k5 engine in it.

What about being different models that are compatible? I bought my bike and it has a cb175k4 frame and cl175k5 engine in it.

Honda would not have used a K5 engine in a K4 frame since the number series would be different. K4 engine would have a 50xxxxx engine number, K5 would be 60xxxxx

Definitely NOT original from Honda.....A PO swapped that engine in......It will however work fine.....

Back
Top Bottom