• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CB450 Camshaft Profiles vs CB500T

DeereFarmer

Total Posts
Total likes
I read on the net somewhere that a CB500T has a different cam lobe profile than CL/CB450s. Is this true? I have a locked up CB500T engine with what I hope is a good exhaust cam that I would like to use for my 71 CL 450 project but wanted to double check before I tore down the 500T motor.

I'm not sure that is the case, but a look at both FSMs in the engine specs or elsewhere in some part of engine disassembly should reveal the cam specs so you can compare. I've never taken the time because I have zero interest in the stroked 450 engine that is the 500T, though I'd honestly be a little surprised if they are different.

The FSMs for the 450 and 500T show the same service limits for the cam lift: 4.688–4.728 mm, replace if under 4.65 mm. These numbers pertain to both the intake and exhaust cams.

This doesn't rule out differences in the profiles, but I couldn't find any specific info on that in the FSMs. Megacycle does not distinguish between the two models in their catalog. They do not list a stock cam profile, either, but have profile information for their cams, including one that is suitable for stock pistons.

Trust @ancientdad more than me, but if your question is really "can 500T cams be used in a 450?", it would seem so. If you have both types of cams, you'll be able to compare them and share your findings here.

Thanks guys. If I pull that cam, I will compare profiles. I read somewhere a while back that the 500T cam was made "de-tuned". But you know how info on the net is.

I just went through the 500T FSM and found no cam profile specs, so I checked part numbers and both 500T cams (exhaust and intake) have 450 part numbers, intake - 14110-292-670, exhaust - 14120-292-013

Seriously? The differences are a: the 500T is newer and b: early 450's had wide lobes but later 450's have the same camshaft as the 500T. Hmmm, will check the fiche to verify this nutritious factoid. Confirmed, same p/n camshaft for the 450K5 and 500T.

The ignition advancer is interchangeable across all 450/500t models/years but have different curves.
The points are interchangeable.
The cylinder is interchangeable. (though the displacement is cast into the front, they dimensionally interchange)
The 5 speed transmissions are mechanically interchangeable. Know that the ratios are different however. Some 450 folks use the 500t 5th gearset to reduce engine rpm at interstate speeds.
Pretty sure engine gasket sets are interchangeable.
The heads are interchangeable.
The pistons, crankshaft and crankcases are absolutely not interchangeable.

Remember, the micro fiche (and this forum) are your friends.

Last edited:
As to detuned, the 500T was heavier, more restrictive mufflers (IMO), had a lower compression ratio and the carby's were a leaner burn. For instance, we like the 14H carbs over the 723 carby's all day long - but all will interchange among all models and years (be sure to use a pair). No good options for mufflers, but if you're industrious, EMGO has a bunch of styles to choose from.

So....if you have a 500T, replacing with 14H's will help your power output, but it's subtle stuff.

Back
Top Bottom