• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Broken Platform Repair?

450roo

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Broken Platform/Pillar Repair?

Has anyone got a repair for this broken pillar and thread it is under the sprocket cover. I have wracked my brains but the only repairs I can think of are difficult at best.
Any sugestions will be helpful.

Broken. jpg 1.jpg

I don't have the same model bike so I'm unsure from your pic just how much load is carried by that pillar. I'm guessing this is already on your list - but I had good success in a similar situation with casting anchor point - using J-B Weld. I used a dremel with tiny engraving bit to create a clean surface with some anchoring pits. Inserted a lightly oiled bolt of correct size (oil to act as a sort of release agent) and then over a couple of applications built up the epoxy.

It surprised me when the bolt came out after curing and left a usable hole. I figured I only had about $20 at stake and that given at least half the original cast was still intact, the epoxy wasn't carrying the full loading. So far for me it has held (it was in a car gearbox housing so not same situation, but so far it's better than all the disassembly work to get it TIG filled.

The epoxy is quite runny so it would be ideal if you can make a cardboard or similar outer mould.

Has anyone got a repair for this broken pillar and thread it is under the sprocket cover. I have wracked my brains but the only repairs I can think of are difficult at best.
Any sugestions will be helpful.

View attachment 21359

What does that post secure when operational? The above suggestion is good, although I would suggest using a JB Weld kneadable epoxy or Tech Steel epoxy if available in OZ. Using the greased bolt method and forming a new tower part around it will give you a fairly solid structure again.

P1060842.jpg

Thanks for the reply's!
The screw is one of four that hold the front sprocket cover, it also is the Anker for a chain guide that helps prevents a broken chain from bulking up inside the cover and damaging the crank case.
Will investigate the availability of epoxy putty.

Two examples of the work that the epoxy can do if the load isn't too great.

P1060744.jpg P1060786.jpg P1070968.jpg P1070969.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply's!
The screw is one of four that hold the front sprocket cover, it also is the Anker for a chain guide that helps prevents a broken chain from bulking up inside the cover and damaging the crank case.
Will investigate the availability of epoxy putty.
That post is one of the two that anchor the neutral switch. One way to fix it would be to drill the hole deeper and tap it for 6mm thread, thread a 6mm stud (with some epoxy putty on the threads) long enough to accept a nut on the outer end. You may as well heli-coil the other switch mounting hole while you're at it, it doesn't appear to be in great shape either.

After serious thinking I decided to fix the post as shown in the pics.
The only down side is that I only have 8mm of thread in the post so must make a screw of exactly the right length, but still stronger than epoxy.
Removing the broken post as done with a hammer and small chisel and finished with a rotary burr. Used loctite to stop it unscrewing.
44d21069744d914e8b04015c44061972.jpg

d358d87998cf32f609a558d42cbbf6d7.jpg

36e5de30ae6cdcfbb3dc0fa894439759.jpg

3b26a90b59f4ee7d15ba6838ff037d43.jpg

Sent from my Tab8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom