• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Be very aware of scammers

ancientdad

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
Since it's been a bit slow here today, I'm busy multitasking and checking out that other forum and I ran across 2 fresh posts offering something for sale, one of them to one of our own members. We've seen this act before, so don't fall for it. If it feels the slightest bit sketchy, do a Google search for the username of the person offering the parts. You'd be amazed at what you can find sometimes. Take a minute and look over the search results I posted for both of these scumbags, it stands out like the proverbial sore thumb.

WTB: CM400 Rack

Cb250g5 or 360 right side cover

And this is why Tom and myself vet each new member carefully. Some are easy to detect like saying they're in Kansas when they're actually posting from Russia while others are more difficult.

Any idea what happens if someone “shoots him a text”? Some (speaking for a friend) have been known to “scam the scammers” on occasion for kicks. Make him think he has one on the line, he spends a bunch of time grooming my friend for the take, then blow him off. That REALLY pisses them off. Time is money to them. Or, if you really want to get your vigilante on, use “certain IT skills” to text him his home address. If anyone decides to play, make sure you do it from a burner phone (like they usually do) so he can’t text you your home address or swat you. These are not generally good people that perpetuate these scams.

^^^While I'd like nothing more than to burn whoever is behind stuff like this, I'm more than busy enough with forum efforts on a daily basis as well as my own life, let alone my motorcycle life, that I'm content to just out them to the forum I see them on. One of the members of one of the forums shown in one of those search results I posted was already onto them too, leaving the perpetrator a GTFO message themselves. It's sad that it's so easy to get away with this kind of crap these days, the internet is both a blessing and a curse unfortunately.

i like to think of this forum as a place where the adults can go hang out and have grown up conversation among themselves, but the kids playing on the HT sand pile outside do still need some adult supervision from neighborhood bullys and stray dogs.

unfortunately today, a lot of "parents" are not taking their role seriously and just let their kids fall into whatever while others look on. i prefer being with the adults who care.

i like to think of this forum as a place where the adults can go hang out and have grown up conversation among themselves, but the kids playing on the HT sand pile outside do still need some adult supervision from neighborhood bullys and stray dogs.

unfortunately today, a lot of "parents" are not taking their role seriously and just let their kids fall into whatever while others look on. i prefer being with the adults who care.

I like that comparison, I think it's quite accurate. And unfortunately, it's also true for real life in many cases. Thanks for that positive thought Paul (y)

And this is why Tom and myself vet each new member carefully. Some are easy to detect like saying they're in Kansas when they're actually posting from Russia while others are more difficult.

Thank you for spending your time to do this!

Tom - 1982 CM450E
(“Noob”, but learning fast!)

Thank you for spending your time to do this!

Tom - 1982 CM450E

Tom, it's something we previously did at the old forum that went totally unnoticed and unappreciated there where revenue is king and what the community needs done is a bottom of the list importance. Now we do it strictly for US.

Tom, it's something we previously did at the old forum that went totally unnoticed and unappreciated there where revenue is king and what the community needs done is a bottom of the list importance. Now we do it strictly for US.

Please know this is certainly appreciated! (I admit unnoticed, as I had no idea until now.)

Tom - 1982 CM450E

Please know this is certainly appreciated! (I admit unnoticed, as I had no idea until now.)

Tom - 1982 CM450E

Tom, this is something I first saw while we were still at the other forum. One of our members was approached through PM about a "friend" having an exhaust part (IIRC) that the member had posted he wanted, and the private discussion that happened afterward was not known until he got ripped off and later posted about it. The new member who offered the part from a "friend" had joined the other forum only a day or two before, had never posted once, immediately responded to his parts wanted post, then insisted on a money order as he "didn't have PayPal"... and the ripoff transpired. Our member posted about it afterward and I started looking into it, first using the scammer's IP address (at the time I was still a moderator there), then started searching for the scammer's username online. I found a half dozen or more other forums the same username had joined and posted similar offers from a "friend" and some of the forums had already recognized he was a scammer. I actually joined one of the forums (a bicycle forum in WA state) to alert them since no one there seemed to understand what was happening, and then outed the scammer on the other forum as well, just as I did in those two links posted above. We work hard enough for our money not to let scammers take it from us, and Jim and I are determined to keep this place clean and free of any nefarious activity. Here's yet another example that happened over there since VHT opened

Wtb Cb450 k1 or K3 tank

We work hard enough for our money not to let scammers take it from us, and Jim and I are determined to keep this place clean and free of any nefarious activity.

I tried to edit my quote, hope it worked.

It’s sad and frustrating there are those folks out there. Its a comfort, and a testament to yours and Jim’s character and goodness, to know you guys are out there. Keep on fighting the good fight, we appreciate you!

Tom - 1982 CM450E

Since it's been a bit slow here today, I'm busy multitasking and checking out that other forum and I ran across 2 fresh posts offering something for sale, one of them to one of our own members. We've seen this act before, so don't fall for it. If it feels the slightest bit sketchy, do a Google search for the username of the person offering the parts. You'd be amazed at what you can find sometimes. Take a minute and look over the search results I posted for both of these scumbags, it stands out like the proverbial sore thumb.

WTB: CM400 Rack

Cb250g5 or 360 right side cover

thanks. I see many of these for other motorcycle models.

It occurs to me (having been bitten by this scam) that if one is offered an unobtainium part by a suspected scammer, ask them for a photo of the part with a newspaper clearly showing todays date. Sort of a variation of the proof of life photos in ransom demands. (Proof of part) A real vendor should have no problem doing this, A scammer will most likely just disappear.

In my case I should have realized that the scammer was far too quick to respond that he had all manner of parts that in the real world are impossible to find. I think another way to ferret these turkeys out would be to request a legitimate sounding part that never existed on your bike. In my case I think I could have asked for a good working Front caliper on my drum brake equipped bike and he would have responded in minutes that he had one. That right there tells you he is a scammer. If you have time and inclination ask him for the proof of part photo described above.

Last edited:
These types are the somewhat-visible equivalent to hackers with the obvious difference being they operate out in the open where everyone can see them. They are not vendors, they're merely dishonest people who know that there are still many trusting souls out there who they can take advantage of. There's no point in trying to ferret them out, they're like cockroaches, you get rid of one and there are 50 more hiding in the cracks and crevices. All you can do is be aware of their tactics and smart. First and most obvious clue is how they offer something right after having just joined somewhere. That's the easiest red flag to see, someone who either hasn't yet posted (and sent a PM to someone, that happened to one of our members elsewhere) or has only one or two posts and just joined a day or so ago. There's no reason to ever believe anyone in that circumstance. I'm as skeptical as they come having been burglarized more than a few times in my life, so I rarely buy anything from an individual unless it's in a long-standing forum situation like ours and even then, it's straight-up PayPal or nothing - not sending anyone cash or money order.

Any idea what happens if someone “shoots him a text”? Some (speaking for a friend) have been known to “scam the scammers” on occasion for kicks. Make him think he has one on the line, he spends a bunch of time grooming my friend for the take, then blow him off. That REALLY pisses them off. Time is money to them. Or, if you really want to get your vigilante on, use “certain IT skills” to text him his home address. If anyone decides to play, make sure you do it from a burner phone (like they usually do) so he can’t text you your home address or swat you. These are not generally good people that perpetuate these scams.

Don't shoot him a text... Shoot him a million texts :) Or just do 1 1/2 of the operation if you can get your sights on them.
Alt

It's interesting that they don't notice how slow it is over at the other forum or they probably wouldn't waste their time. One of the reasons I insist on introductions here is for yet another way to weed out the frauds, since they aren't likely to act like they're going to participate and of course, don't want to divulge anything (real) about themselves. That, and Jim and I give them a pretty thorough vetting before approval anyway. If someone uses the same username as these pieces of crap usually do, it's pretty easy to find them out there doing the same thing in another forum (or 20)

Unfortunately another scammer got into our midst recently. He checked out clean during our usual vetting process when he joined, and he even did a typical introduction as well as posting a parts wanted ad for a 350 gas tank. But, he then found a couple of members from the parts wanted section to PM about their posts - without ever saying anything publicly on their parts wanted posts, for obvious reasons. I only discovered it while doing my usual, watching the Who's Online page in between reading posts, and noticed it was rather odd to see 2 different members reading a PM from the same new member.

Turns out he was telling them the same old song and dance, "check with this guy for what you need".

Brysherexx

Brysherexx said:
leftech would be a good option,contact him via leftwichxx@gmail. com .He has a CL175 exhaust he wants to part with.

Didn't take much effort to find this about him and his cohorts.

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/be-ca...sages-about-the-parts-i-am-looking-for.56541/

So, as of today he is banned.

Again, when someone PMs you out of the blue without responding publicly to your Parts Wanted thread, be suspicious and do not email them.

And let me or Jim know so we can boot them if they turn out to be what they seem.

He sent me a note about a guy who had a 400A luggage rack but when I followed up on it I was told it was sold. Thanks for watching over us Dad! :)

He also sent me an email address to contact for the center stands I am looking for. I tried to search the email address and found something that made me suspicious.

Thanks for your diligent work.

Denny K

He sent me a note about a guy who had a 400A luggage rack but when I followed up on it I was told it was sold. Thanks for watching over us Dad! :)

He also sent me an email address to contact for the center stands I am looking for. I tried to search the email address and found something that made me suspicious.

Thanks for your diligent work.

Denny K

Happy to do it guys, we have to do something to help keep the scamming scumbags out of our midst. Which brings me to the next thought - whenever anyone gets an unsolicited PM about parts like that and hasn't publicly responded to your Parts Wanted post, please let me know right away so I can look into it.

We've already long since established that they're out there, let's work together to get them out of VHT as fast as possible in the future.

am new here from south carolina welcome me please

It's now easy to understand why you didn't offer anything about yourself, it's because you are a scammer. Just so everyone knows what you've been up to, here is what you privately sent one of our members looking for a part:

vilr04 said:
chris as a replatable left side exhaust pipe for a CL77 he wants to part with.Dont know his username on here but you can reach him via chrisd6488 @aol.com

We've seen this game before so you're not fooling anyone. You've tried this crap elsewhere and it isn't hard to find, post #13 in this thread below

https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/1-200-models/333766-scammer-private-message-alert.html

Buh bye.

To all VHT members: DO NOT fall for anyone's PM regarding any Parts Wanted post under these circumstances, particularly from a new member. If the "seller" does not publicly contact you on your Parts Wanted thread first and only PMs you offering someone else's name/email address for the part you want as shown above, it's most likely a scam. ALWAYS forward their PMs to me or LDR so we can take appropriate action.

Just a reminder to pay attention to the paragraph below. We're regularly getting new members at VHT and sometimes they join for the sole purpose of attempting to scam someone.

To all VHT members: DO NOT fall for anyone's PM regarding any Parts Wanted post under the circumstances described in post #26 above, particularly from a new member. If the "seller" does not publicly contact you on your Parts Wanted thread first and only PMs you offering someone else's name/email address for the part you want as shown above, it's most likely a scam. ALWAYS forward their PMs to me or LDR so we can take appropriate action.

Yet another scumbag scammer found their way into our midst and exposed themselves earlier today.

If any member received a PM from now-former member Djokovic0, delete it. If anyone did and have already read it, hopefully you did not respond to it. I cannot stress this enough: if you have a Parts Wanted ad here at VHT and someone PMs you without first replying to your ad, please report them to me or LDR.

This new "member" started this morning by "welcoming" other new members before even introducing themselves. After letting them know how VHT works and removing them from moderation hold, only minutes later I happened to notice they were sending a PM to a member who I knew had placed a Parts Wanted ad. It was then quite obvious what their intent really was, and they were removed from our forum.

scammer.jpg

Yet another scumbag scammer found their way into our midst and exposed themselves earlier today.

If any member received a PM from now-former member Djokovic0, delete it. If anyone did and have already read it, hopefully you did not respond to it. I cannot stress this enough: if you have a Parts Wanted ad here at VHT and someone PMs you without first replying to your ad, please report them to me or LDR.

This new "member" started this morning by "welcoming" other new members before even introducing themselves. After letting them know how VHT works and removing them from moderation hold, only minutes later I happened to notice they were sending a PM to a member who I knew had placed a Parts Wanted ad. It was then quite obvious what their intent really was, and they were removed from our forum.

View attachment 19995

I watched you intercept that person this morning and was sure happy that you're so on top of things. I don't go near FB any more because it's lousy with those clowns

This is just a reminder that as we continue to grow and new members join, the potential for yet-to-be exposed scammers in our midst continues.

If you've received a PM (private message) about your Parts Wanted ad without that member first publicly responding to your ad, BE VERY CAUTIOUS and immediately PM me or Jim (LongDistanceRider) so we can look into it.

Don't fall for a scammer's story and let them take your money, and NEVER give anyone the equivalent of cash.

Last edited:
This is just another reminder that as we continue to grow and new members join, the potential for yet-to-be exposed scammers in our midst continues.

If you've received a PM (private message) about your Parts Wanted ad without that member first publicly responding to your ad, BE VERY CAUTIOUS and immediately PM me or Jim (LongDistanceRider) so we can look into it.

Don't fall for a scammer's story and let them take your money, and NEVER give anyone the equivalent of cash.

Just to add to this... if someone demands that you send it as "Family and Friends" via paypal with a siren song about the fees then offer to pay the measly fee. If they still refuse, it is very likely to be a scam. If they rip you off and you use "Family and Friends" you will have NO recourse with paypal.

Just to add to this... if someone demands that you send it as "Family and Friends" via paypal with a siren song about the fees then offer to pay the measly fee. If they still refuse, it is very likely to be a scam. If they rip you off and you use "Family and Friends" you will have NO recourse with paypal.

Yes, well said Frank. That's one of the many CASH methods they will try to talk you into doing to avoid them being caught and you having any recourse.

This is just another regular reminder that as we continue to grow and new members join, the potential for yet-to-be exposed scammers in our midst continues.

I'm in a less than charitable mood today .... colonoscopy prep day .... did get some relief by cussing out a call from a scammer about a purchase on my credit card ... lol.

Will see who is online at 3 AM when I get to repeat the process.

Oh! Now I understand

This thread has been quite an eye opener. I cursed and swore about the convoluted process to join this forum when I was doing it, thinking it to be just ineptitude. Ongoing I see and appreciate the selfless efforts expended for the benefit of all. I recall a time when this was a moral norm, but alas not so prevalent anymore. Sincere thanks.

This thread has been quite an eye opener. I cursed and swore about the convoluted process to join this forum when I was doing it, thinking it to be just ineptitude. Ongoing I see and appreciate the selfless efforts expended for the benefit of all. I recall a time when this was a moral norm, but alas not so prevalent anymore. Sincere thanks.

I'm glad you now understand why we do what we do, and I'm sorry if it was a troublesome moment but as you can now see, it certainly was not from ineptitude. When you join most forums today, the process is typically automated and as long as the applicant's IP address or email address doesn't raise a red flag due to being on a watch list of some sort, they get automatically approved. All you have to do to get a glimpse of how the other forums work is go to one of them (particularly those owned by the same huge corporation that owns our previous home and at least 1500 other forums, strictly for the ad revenue and not for the community well-being) and take a look at the most recent new member list. Nearly every day at forums like that, you will see new "member" usernames that make no sense and have zero personal information associated with their profile

When we opened VHT in June of 2020, we decided that we would manually vet each and every new member using as many research resources we could find to expose scammers and spammers and it has paid off for the most part. Sometimes we get fooled briefly and allow a bad guy in, but it doesn't take much activity to see how they behave and what their obvious goal is. In addition, I watch the Who's Online list the entire time I'm online here each day to see what new members are doing so I can expose them if they've slipped past us somehow.

To date, VHT has had almost 3000 applications for membership and over 500 of them have been fraudulent. Of those, only 5 have gotten past us long enough to actually start their scam attempts and fortunately, as far as I know only one person ever lost money. He fell victim to the pressure of needing a part and the so-called seller wouldn't accept any other payment than an equivalent to cash (money order IIRC). The others were outed by simply watching their behavior closely, seeing them sending PMs (private messages) to members almost immediately after joining and before ever introducing themselves to the community. And for those who might complain about having to do an introduction, this is one of the main reasons we require it - if a new member is willing to talk about themselves to some extent, it's less likely they have ulterior motives.

So yes, while there was a time when good morals and ethics were the norm, I think we all realize that era is gone and coincidentally, it was about the same time our favorite vintage Honda twins were new and current models. Back then you could go to a local Honda dealer and buy a replacement key from the number easily visible right on the ignition switch, and no one thought you were going to steal someone's bike. Even back then, it didn't take too long before the powers that be at Honda realized that method was too easy and was being exploited. In hindsight it doesn't sound surprising at all, does it?

Last edited:
I just discovered another scammer on the loose over at HT. I'll be watching for them to discover VHT and attempt to join. Meanwhile, for those who are members of both forums, keep your eyes open for this guy

dfffjonathan

here is his first post, and it's not even in the Parts Wanted section as you'd expect

CL450 and CB450 Footpeg Options

I just discovered another scammer on the loose over at HT. I'll be watching for them to discover VHT and attempt to join. Meanwhile, for those who are members of both forums, keep your eyes open for this guy

dfffjonathan

here is his first post, and it's not even in the Parts Wanted section as you'd expect

They caught up to the first scammer at that other forum and he was replaced by a new one on the same thread, they must like our new member Motard

donaldwills97468 - and surprise surprise, lookie here: https://www.google.com/[email protected]&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

They get past the approval algorithm over there pretty easily, since most of the time no one is watching the store.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom