• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

After riding the rear wheel squeeks

Chippe

Total Posts
Total likes
It sounds like squeeking rubber and I heard it right after riding the bike when I pushed to bike in to the garage.
I was about to record it for you but a few hours later as it had cooled down I guess it has stopped.

I don't feel any play in the rear wheel but another thing is this spacer. Do you know why it's loose like that?

I see.. thank you for the help. I'll check it out and wiggle it tomorrow, it's late over here right now.

BUT you are missing the rubber cover that protects the washer and circlip from rusting.

Hhhmmm. I may be missing that rubber cover myself. FSM shows it, I haven’t checked the parts fiche yet, but I don’t see it with my sprocket or hub parts which are currently off the bike.
[Head scratch, chin rub]

EDIT: Nope, I’m not… parts fiche doesn’t show it. I guess the E economy model gets rusty washers and snap rings.

Tom - 1982 CM450E

There is a space between this part and the sprocket. Please watch the video, maybe the sprocket is wrong and too thin or are you supposed to be able to wiggle the sprocket this much?
sprocket.jpg

Do you think the damper rubbers are ok or maybe there is something I can do about it?

IIRC, that steel flanged insert goes into the sprocket with the flange nearest the hub (inside/under/behind the sprocket) not outboard like the washer and circlip.......

Last edited:
IIRC, that steel flanged insert goes into the sprocket with the flange nearest the hub (inside/under/behind the sprocket) not outboard like the washer and circlip.......

Interesting, I'll flip it around and see if it looks better.
Edit: To me it didn't do much difference. I actually think the "hat" should sit outwards like it does in my video but who knows, I didn't see anything about it in the manual but I just noticed another guy had hat faced outwards.

Big circlip groove:

The spacer goes shoulder out.
The rubber cushion need to be tightened up, cut strips of a plastic bottle to use as shims. Also shim the aluminum wedges so they're tight.

The spacer goes shoulder out.
The rubber cushion need to be tightened up, cut strips of a plastic bottle to use as shims. Also shim the aluminum wedges so they're tight.

Putting it under the rubber cushions will fix the sprocket play?
It makes sense since it would fill up the sprocket gap. Ok, the aluminium wedges needs to be tight too.

No, you using the plastic shims to fill the gap around the rubber so they fit the wheel tighter. If they're recessed some that's OK or you can raise them some to flush with the plastic shim.

No, you using the plastic shims to fill the gap around the rubber so they fit the wheel tighter. If they're recessed some that's OK or you can raise them some to flush with the plastic shim.
Ok, that I understood but I thought it also could raise the sprocket so there wouldn't be a gap. The washer looks ok to me compared to others on the internet, its about 1 mm or slightly thicker so something else could be worn out.

Thanks for looking it up.. I'll see if I can find them within the EU.

Edit: found info on the old forum. Bicycle tube as a sleeve around the rubber cushions or as shims. No more free play they said, I'll try it and update this thread how it goes.
Btw I also have liquid rubber which could work to fill up some of the gaps.

I don't know if this happens to these models, but I wonder if the groove for the snap ring isn't worn also from constant movement and outward force.

I don't know if this happens to these models, but I wonder if the groove for the snap ring isn't worn also from constant movement and outward force.
I don't know, at first I thought it was wrong but maybe it's supposed to be that way. It wouldn't matter that much If I didn't had a sprocket play because the rubber cushions with a little flex would push up/out the washer ring against the snap ring unless the big groove is also a part of the problem :) but I think the big sprocket play/gap comes before the groove.

As I see it the sprocket play could be caused by:
1. Worn washer.
2. Wrong kind of sprocket that is too thin.
3. Rubber cushions has shrunk in all directions, it's now too shallow.
4. Groove for the circlip/snap ring is too big.

Even when done you will have some flex/play of the rear sprocket, that's normal.
WEMOTO is in the UK if that helps.

Ok, it sounds logic with a little play.

I did as you said, using plastic strips and also rubber from a sheet. The play is gone, you have to use some force to feel a play when wiggling it. However when spinning the wheel I can see that the sprocket is uneven. The difference is between 1-2 mm. I guess it's much better than before but still, is it ok?

Rubber at the bottom to raise it:
IMG_2182.jpg

Pretty good so far, rubber at the sides and now we need strips from a plastic bottle to make it extra tight:
IMG_2184.jpg

I'm testing hot glue as an experiment (glue gun). It's superfast and easy.
IMG_2186.jpg

Back
Top Bottom