• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

A Bomber barn find

Success! The combo of the courage to grind a bit more and using a punch to drive the pins back and off came the link. So I went to it on the new chain and that one went much easier because I wasn't so ignorant of how it works. Thanks to everyone.

I draped the chain over the sprocket on the crank and sealed and then put the two pieces together. How do I know how much cam chain to leave free on each side. I know the assembly ends with putting in the master link at the intake camshaft sprocket, so I left a lot more toward the front of the engine, but that's just a guess. Is there a system? I could put on the magneto rotor temporarily and set the crankshaft at LT, rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise and if I knew how long the chain should be on one side before I put on the cylinders it would be helpful.

...so I left a lot more toward the front of the engine, but that's just a guess.
You have the right idea, but you really don't need to worry too much about it because you can actually slip a little bit of chain around the crankshaft sprocket once you start putting the top end on.
Is there a system?
LOL, only the one you devise after working on them for a while. I never got to go to Honda school so I don't know exactly what they would have taught about it, but as long as you can get the chain lengths appropriate for intake and exhaust side it really doesn't matter.

If you can't easily get the chain to slip around once the head is in place (with the exhaust cam already rotated into the correct position for the timing mark), then just lift the head up half an inch, slip a screwdriver or thin block of wood between the head and cylinders (carefully, and on the left side so you don't disturb the o-rings on the right) and then you can rotate the crankshaft a little without worry of bumping a slightly open exhaust valve to finagle the chain where you need it.

OK. On to step 173(b)(2) of the never ending saga of the K0. I have to wait for a few part deliveries, then the head goes on. Meanwhile, there's a K0 starter that could use a bit of attention.

Back
Top Bottom