• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

72 CL175 fork springs

ckahleer

Total Posts
Total likes
I got my fork seals today, so tomorrow I should be able to get the front end back together and go for a test ride.
When I dissasembled the forks, I didn't take note how the springs came out of the fork tubes.
Do the tighter coils go up or down?

Quite interesting to Google this question, to read all the different opinions on this matter.

For example, tight coils to the top to reduce unsprung weight, tight coils to bottom to displace more oil and thus affect the air gap, and so on.

In practice, I doubt that it makes any noticeable difference at all on a small elderly bike.

FSM states 'assemble the front fork spring into the fork pipe so that the end with the larger pitch is at the bottom', whatever 'larger pitch' means ....

FSM states 'assemble the front fork spring into the fork pipe so that the end with the larger pitch is at the bottom', whatever 'larger pitch' means ....

I would assume pitch is used similarly here to the pitch of threads on a bolt or screw, i.e., the larger pitch would be coarser (fewer coils per unit length).

Quite interesting to Google this question, to read all the different opinions on this matter.

For example, tight coils to the top to reduce unsprung weight, tight coils to bottom to displace more oil and thus affect the air gap, and so on.

In practice, I doubt that it makes any noticeable difference at all on a small elderly bike.

I guess a discussion of progressively wound springs and their action/function in suspension would be a good topic for my "classroom"......;)

Back
Top Bottom