• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

3.00x18 & 2.75x18" tires to fit the CB175:who sells decent quality tires ??

bilbikek411

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
3.00x18 & 2.75x18" tires to fit the CB175:who sells decent quality tires ??

I would like to fit a pair of S-rated tires(the S-rated have more reinforcement,stiffer)Good quality tires that'll last a while on the CB175.Do you know if someone sells these here in the USA ?

I like the road feedback of my ContiGo 2.75x18 front tire,even though it is P-rated,it's the correct 'inch size' for the bike and I want to keep that size on the front:they have a nice modern tread pattern that pulls around the sides of the tire fairly well.The thing about them here in the USA is there are no dealers for them.I have also been looking at the Michelin City Pro but I'm not sure if they have these sizes.

Over here in the UK, a well trusted tyre is the Dunlop K82, looks like the TT100. Available in the sizes you need, will be fitting these to my 160 when iy's ready for the road. Have been using them on my CB400F for many years. Don't know if they are available on your side of the pond. Regards. Mick.

Over here in the UK, a well trusted tyre is the Dunlop K82, looks like the TT100. Available in the sizes you need, will be fitting these to my 160 when iy's ready for the road. Have been using them on my CB400F for many years. Don't know if they are available on your side of the pond. Regards. Mick.

Micky,I'm going to see if I can locate a tire dealer here in the States who can order them.Do you have any pics of the treads on those K82's ?

ConfidenceBooster for Dunlop K82 Tyres!!

This was Mike Hailwood's Honda 250cc 6 cylinder machine at Brands Hatch Race Circuit for a few demonstration(!!!!) laps. Take a goodlook at those tyres! That's why I occasionally allow the toe of my boot to kiss the tarmac on the 400.CCI01042019_2.jpg

I have similar bike. Found Michelin City Pro tires on line. Front and rear specific application. Free shipping in USA. Made in Serbia, if that matters to you. Seem to be a “softer” rubber compound, which holders dry road very well. Have not used on wet road.

I wish they sold the K82s in sizes that would fit my 450, I used to run the K81s on many of my bikes back in the day and they were great.

The Michelin city pro tires are ok,imo.
They are a bit soft and heavy and work for sedate driving.
Here in the USA they have been slowly deleting So Many 2.75 & 3.00 x 18" tires from online catalogs.. I would just like to find an easy way(less $ also..)to order from the U.K. or Thailand because they still sell some of them.

I have presented this problem to my old tire supplier from back in the 90's when I had my repair business on Cape Cod,Ma.These folks are in Telford,PA.
I did already purchase a better quality tire for the rear from them back in 2016' when i was living in W. PA. for almost 4 years:)rolleyes: )and Jerry(the owner) and I spoke about this same problem.He sold me an Avon AM26 'RoadRider' 90/90x18 & V-rated,which was still current then.They have since discontinued the original AM26 and come-out with the Avon 'RoadRider' MKII which is a bit more sporty.I just bought one of his last NOS AM26 90/90x18 V-rated 1st gen tires a month ago.He keeps them in a cool warehouse on the first floor and the tire is dated from 2017' but feels like it's still soft:I've got it stored in a cool,dry place in a sealed bag.I don't prefer a V-rated tire,I would much rather have an S-rated tire.The Avon AM26 90/90 doesn't have the same height as the 3.00x18 & is a little tiny bit wider but was ok:it was as close as I can get to 3.00x18 and is able to be used on front or rear.That previous Avon AM26 tire from 2016' lasted me a good while,much longer than the IRC NR21 P-rated moped-tire on the rear.I spoke with LDR about this and he recommends Heidenau as they have the older inch sizes we would need.I just like the more modern looking tread pattern of the Avon's and would really like to find a supplier in the USA who sells the small sizes of ContiGo.

I just learned of another tire: the Metzeler ME22 would be a great 'tyre' to have access to,if possible.

I'm a K82 fan. Available over here in 2.75, 3.00, 3.25 and 3.50 18 sizes.

If you run a 1.85 rear rim, as found on the CL175, best tyre size is a 3.25. This is my CL175, dressed up as a CB175, with 2.75 and 3.25 K82s, second rear, first wore out after 3 - 4kmiles. Seems to handle nicely, although I don't get the pegs down like I used to back in the day.

bAYxTUU.jpg

QkfG4OI.jpg

Richard,those K82's fit your 175(especially the K82 3.25x18 rear)very nice :cool:
I would very much like to purchase the same. ;) I have an 18x1.85 rear and 18x1.60 fr. rims.
I wonder how they compare to the old K81 race/soft compound I use to install back in the 70's:eek:r are they about the same as the standard vintage K81 rubber compound ?

Hi Bill,

My impression, for what it's worth, is that K82s are made using a modern compound. They feel quite soft and so far as I can tell, grippy. As above, I only got 3 or 4000 miles out of a rear, which is more what I'd expect from a sticky rear on my 600.

Back in the day, I had K81 TT100's on my CB250, 3.60/18 front, 4.10/18 rear. Before that, on my CB175, I had a 3.60/18 K81 on the rear, with a ribbed Avon SpeedMaster 2.75/18 on the front. On the 175, I could ground the folding footrests at will, wore the rubbers down to a taper whilst trapping my boots against the engine.

And then, one cold wet morning, overtook a car going into a bend, on the CB250. K81s just let go in the wet, I ended up in the hedge.

Ridden through winter and rarely cleaned ..

NNUWSDg.jpg

Kenda is a decent option, and they make small size tires (I ran them on my 160). They're relatively inexpensive and have worked for me for everyday riding withou pushing it too hard (but pushing it a little).

Under recommendation by you , to me, I picked up the avons, av83 streetrunner for my cb200. They are S rated, and available in 2.75 18 & 3.00 18. They completely eliminated the wobble from the hydroplane prevention grooves. Very pleased with them, though they are the first tires I've ever experienced new on a bike so not much experience to compare. Is there a reason these are not suitable for the 175?

Under recommendation by you , to me, I picked up the avons, av83 streetrunner for my cb200. They are S rated, and available in 2.75 18 & 3.00 18. They completely eliminated the wobble from the hydroplane prevention grooves. Very pleased with them, though they are the first tires I've ever experienced new on a bike so not much experience to compare. Is there a reason these are not suitable for the 175?

I will be purchasing them when i finally wear-out my present front ContiGo 2.75x18.I like how it handles:I guess I was kind of hooked on it,but I wasn't able to find the matching rear. :neutral: I wasn't aware the AV83's were available both in those sizes And S-rated.They will be my next choice ! thank you.

A note on purchasing them; while shopping for them in september/october, the stocking of those appeared to be very limited. It was necessary to contact about 30 businesses before finding them in stock. Was told that new shipment distribution of them would be at the end of december. Left the shopping alerts up even after purchasing mine, and they are already being listed sold out in some places. So maybe place an alert up for planning.

A note on purchasing them; while shopping for them in september/october, the stocking of those appeared to be very limited. It was necessary to contact about 30 businesses before finding them in stock. Was told that new shipment distribution of them would be at the end of december. Left the shopping alerts up even after purchasing mine, and they are already being listed sold out in some places. So maybe place an alert up for planning.

Yes,I understand.Here in the USA those sizes are deleted by many suppliers..

Avon tyres are actually made here in England, only imported part is the actual rubber, so hopefully no supply issues here.

Unlike other tyre makers. For example, my DunlopK82s were made in France, recent Michelins in Slovenia etc.

Thanks, useful to know that.

I was mislead by quotes on UK tyre sales websites, such as this:

Avon tyres
are designed and manufactured in the
UK
so a good reason to buy
British
Avon tyres
are designed and manufactured in the
UK
so a very good reason to buy
British

Closer study of Avons own website states that ' the majority of our tyres are manufactured in the UK ' ie a minority are made elsewhere.

Avon tyres are actually made here in England, only imported part is the actual rubber, so hopefully no supply issues here.

Unlike other tyre makers. For example, my DunlopK82s were made in France, recent Michelins in Slovenia etc.

Richard,I had heard that Avon is not going to continue offering motorcycle tires? Going out of business? Can you comment on this please ?
I'm still searching for a pair of decent quality tires;I'm considering purchasing the Shinko 712 model which offers a 3.00x18" Front and a 3.50x18" Rear..

I appreciate that Tom.

I keep hoping I can find a quality tire in 3.00x18 F. & 3.25/3.50x18 R. in these inch sizes:they work so much better on our vintage bikes. I like the look of the Michelins that Richard posted.
I haven't bought a Heidenau tire yet;they look so 'old fashion',imo.

I imagine I have to get a pair shipped from outside the USA.

Sorry for late reply, just back from a week in deepest North Devon.:) Seven days of unbroken blue skies, expect that's the English summer over ...

My 'British' Avon tyres were actually made in Slovenia ( from memory, definately somewhere East European ), as were my Michelins. I do prefer the Michelins, Avons look as if they'd run out of tread if leaned over very far.

Yes, I probably should have phrased that better. Tyres on my CB600 are pretty much slick at the edges, for maximum dry grip. Just that the Avons have higher side walls, so that leaned well over you'd be off the grippy bits and onto the side wall, if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom