• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1st start after rebuild. Any suggestions

Troy

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Wondering if there are any tips or suggestions for the first start after a top end rebuild? My '67 CD175 Sloper had the top end rebuilt by the previous owner and they never fired it up. Since I've owned it I've given it new plugs, oil and battery, adjusted valves, cleaned the carbs and replaced all carb o-rings and gaskets. I've got spark. Anything in particular I should consider before starting it for the first time in 30 years? I've never broken in an engine and I realize that there is a process to follow to do so. It's the dead of winter here so I won't be riding this bike for some time. I just want to fire it up and see where it's at.

As always I welcome the feedback from those of you with vast experience with such matters.

Cheers
Troy

You're in an odd situation. Normally the engine gets fired up, basic tune checked and adjusted as needed like timing, idle speed and mixture. Then it's ridden using 50% of rpm thru each gear going up thru the gears and then down. Running for an extended period of time unloaded isn't horrible but it's not good either.
Weather is not your friend obviously so I would go ahead and get the basic tune stuff done. Then wait until the roads clear enough to ride for a few miles. When that happens just run 1st and 2nd gear up and down shifting from off idle to 5K for a few miles.
Don't fire it up and just run it unloaded thru the rpm range, engines need the load to effectively break in.

If it was mine, I'd take the plugs out and spin the engine over with a cordless drill on the rotor bolt, just to ensure that ( The freshly changed ) oil was reaching the top end of the motor, before actually firing it up. Possibly even put some assembly lube on the cam lobes, via the valve covers, and engine oil into the cylinders via the plug holes. 30 years seems an awfully long time for things to dry out.

If it was mine, I'd take the plugs out and spin the engine over with a cordless drill on the rotor bolt, just to ensure that ( The freshly changed ) oil was reaching the top end of the motor, before actually firing it up. Possibly even put some assembly lube on the cam lobes, via the valve covers, and engine oil into the cylinders via the plug holes. 30 years seems an awfully long time for things to dry out.

First start on the weekend and everything went great...the motor sounds great so far.

Last week I learned that the bike doesn't show up in the motor vehicle registry here which means I will need to get everything ship shape for a safety inspection before I can get a plate on it and take it out onto the road to break it in. (It was always my intention to get it ship shape, this just means that it has to impress an inspector before I can go any farther)

Back
Top Bottom