• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1976 CB200 Knuckle buster tappet cover...Help

Yakeye

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Well decided to adjust tappets tonight. Should be routine enjoyable evening...right. ?? Have had the bike less than a year . New tires and carbs cleaned, oil changed.... running ok. But decided to do rest of routine maintenance so ....first 3 tappet covers were really tight (over tightened in my opinion) but got them loose and off. The right side intake tappet cover will not budge!!! I have now unfortunately rounded the " bolt " portion of the tappet.(n):angry:.. tried heat and channel locks no dice!! Please help.

Thanks all

A socket style bolt extractor will likely work well. I would get an impact rated extractor and use an impact to get it out - the hammer action will aid greatly in removing a stuck bolt.

These days I use my impact wherever I can. With adjustable settings I can set it to low for small bolts/screws to not blow them out.

Jim and Joey,

Thanks for responses. I have not used a bolt extractor before. I will give that a try prior to my big pipe wrench and the hammer/chisel.
I'll post results.

Yakeye,

Off topic: Which tires did you go with with on the CB200?

Heidenau K39 2.75/18 front

Heidenau K33 3.00/18 rear

Like them so far but not a lot of miles yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well got the tappet cover off with the help of hammer, impact wrench, breaker bar, heat , PB blaster….but the real deal was the bolt extractor. Irwin 19mm finally did the trick. Jim at least did not have to go hammer and chisel route!
9a4be997455037d42dbf52380ad2a5ca.jpg

f21644c27d3411099df5097d80adc3b5.jpg

ef06bcbdc03b790fc72ff7a5b718e047.jpg

Set of 5 from advance auto parts now added to my tool box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

….but the real deal was the bolt extractor. Irwin 19mm finally did the trick.
Highly recommend these myself; I’ve used them many time on auto repairs, but luckily I haven’t needed them on my bike. Glad you got it conquered!

Tom - 1982 CM450E / Midwest USA

Back
Top Bottom