• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1975 CB200 Clutch cable cam

Philg

Total Posts
Total likes
I have got to the stage of installing the cables and quickly ran into a problem installing the clutch cable into the lifter arm in the crankcase. I think its a pull apart job but thought id check before i dive in.
When i install the end of the cable into the clutch leaver the leaver flat bits are almost vertical, which will mean zero room for adjustment. I didn't see any reference in the manual when i was putting it together that it had to be put together in a certain position. kind of hard to explain but hopefully the pictures will make the problem clearer.
Do I have to remove the cover and reposition the numbers 30,31 and 32, do the flat areas on the lifter have to be horizontal, If I do have to remove the cover, that raises another question . Was I right in using Honda bond on both surfaces when I put it together and what is the best way to separate the cover from the crank case. Thanks
1707729371527.jpgIMG_20240212_214049.jpgIMG_20240212_214141.jpgScreenshot 2024-02-12 at 22-36-23 Image_20240212_0001.pdf.png

You want the lifter arm to be 90° to the cable before the lever is pulled. I'm not sure if you loosen the adjuster screw in the center if ti would allow you to shift the shaft to that position without removing the cover, if I had to guess I'd say probably not. I would not have used Hondabond on both sides of the cover gasket, it really isn't necessary on most gaskets in Honda engines, it's intended for use on the gasket-less upper and lower crankcase halves. And you should never use Hondabond in lieu of a gasket. Also, the kickstart shaft seal would be a lot simpler to install with the cover off.

You want the lifter arm to be 90° to the cable before the lever is pulled. I'm not sure if you loosen the adjuster screw in the center if ti would allow you to shift the shaft to that position without removing the cover, if I had to guess I'd say probably not. I would not have used Hondabond on both sides of the cover gasket, it really isn't necessary on most gaskets in Honda engines, it's intended for use on the gasket-less upper and lower crankcase halves. And you should never use Hondabond in lieu of a gasket. Also, the kickstart shaft seal would be a lot simpler to install with the cover off.
Thanks , yes I thought afterwards that the Honda bond might have been a mistake, I used a gasket as well. Your guess is correct, loosening the adjuster screw doesn't shift the shaft enough so I guess today will be spent trying to get the cover off and fixing my mistake, one I wont make again. I have a complete gasket set coming from Scambler Cycle so will pinch the gasket from that set. Thanks

There is a procedure for aligning that on some of the other Honda bikes I have worked on if I recall correctly. I cannot find it now though, so it may not exist. :unsure:

If you don't align it correctly as AD noted it will not rotate as designed. With the cover off play with the setup until it rotates and moves the inner section toward the clutch pack to depress the pack when the clutch cable is pulled in.

Last edited:
There is a procedure for aligning that on some of the other Honda bikes I have worked on if I recall correctly. I cannot find it now though, so it may not exist. :unsure:

If you don't align it correctly as AD noted it will not rotate as designed. With the cover off play with the setup until it rotates and moves the inner section toward the clutch pack to depress the pack when the clutch cable is pulled in.
Got it, came off eaiser than expected, I can now see the problem, I think its in the correct position now. I found this used gasket off a spare engine which is in pretty good shape, was thinking of using it , any thoughts? is it an absolut no using a used gasket or ok if its in good nick. Thanks
1707773674667.jpg1707773795228.jpg1707774079191.jpg

Yes, from the look of the shaft in the cover it looks to be in the correct position now. As for the gasket, it's not well-illuminated in the picture but clearly it doesn't have any cuts or broken areas. This would be where you could use a thin smear of Hondabond on one side, but make sure the gasket is as clean as you can get it first. Put the sealer on the side that looks the worst (any spots that lost a slight amount of material that stuck to the crankcase or previous cover). Worst it can do is a little oil seepage.

Yes, from the look of the shaft in the cover it looks to be in the correct position now. As for the gasket, it's not well-illuminated in the picture but clearly it doesn't have any cuts or broken areas. This would be where you could use a thin smear of Hondabond on one side, but make sure the gasket is as clean as you can get it first. Put the sealer on the side that looks the worst (any spots that lost a slight amount of material that stuck to the crankcase or previous cover). Worst it can do is a little oil seepage.
Thanks, thats what I wanted to here, didnt really wont to take one gasket from a full set. Will start putting it back together today.

Back
Top Bottom