• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1969 CB350 K1 Shifter is locking

SamN350

Total Posts
Total likes
Salt Lake City UT United States of America
So this is the same engine a couple of months ago that sensei helped me find that my shaft and counter shaft locator pins had been hammered into the upper crank case, so that is no longer the issue (i believe). After the bike is good and hot, and while Im riding the shifter gets stuck. it takes a combination of revving higher and clutch pulling to free it either up or down.

I just last night pull apart the right side of the engine and got behind the clutch basket to look at the shifting assembly everything is in place and nothing is bent. I did have to retighten the screw that holds the roller and return fork in place. It's this assembly to be exact.... https://imgur.com/gallery/NRQNuvP

If the screw in the end of the shift drum comes loose, the countersunk "washer" for the shift detent (fork) would move around like the slack that is visible in that video and I could see how it would cause binding. If you don't have one, I'd invest in a JIS-bit t-handle and a new screw for that location, then rotate the shift drum (shift the transmission) until it is as far clockwise as it rotates (be sure you have it fully in 5th gear) and then add a drop of loctite and tighten the hell out of the new screw. Make sure the 6mm bolt on the other end of that detent arrangement is properly tight too, and if it's binding when tightened up completely then there's a part missing or incorrect. Ribrickulous had that problem, one of the special washer-like parts (shift drum stopper collar) was missing from the backside of his on the 6mm bolt and his was binding when tight so be sure that isn't happening to yours

Back
Top Bottom